Greyhound ancestry

I realise that I might look a bit like a cyber-stalker here but I had a bit of free time on my hands and thought I would have a peek into the ancestry of some of the other British hounds whose humans visit this site. I chose British hounds as Buddy’s ancestry is mostly UK and Irish, with a bit of Aussie thrown in and it helped to narrow the search. I looked at just three hounds and found that Buddy was related to them all! Two of them were pretty distant (Goosetree Chance/ Chancey - hello Banjoman! And Boomtown Ken / Ken - hi Doc’s Doc), but he is quite closely related to the third (Ardera Coleen / Grace - hey HeyRunDog!), with whom he shares a paternal granddad and a few others further back.

There are photos on Greyhound-data of Boomtown Ken who looks quite a lot like my Buddy Molly - down to the white toes on his back left foot!

What do others think: is greyhound ancestry a bit like being able to trace every human back to Charlemagne or some other historical figure? I wasn’t expecting to find common ancestors quite so easily. 

So this is what I’ve found in less than an hour of investigation - just think what I could do with a whole day! Sherlock Holmes - watch out!

Again, sorry for stalking you fellow Brits :french

Edited by MerseyGrey

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

I think you will find that virtually all greyhounds can trace their ancestry back to two greyhounds in the 1800’s. dmdsmoxie is our expert on that I believe.:)

Chancey  goes back to the Greyhound Derby winner I’m Slippy as do several US hounds on the board as well as UK hounds.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

My Jenny’s ancestry goes back to 2 Irish “unknown dogs” in the 1800’s. Fascinating!

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I've looked at 3 of mine so far, one goes back to Niger in 178?, one back to Smoker in the 1790s and one to Tiger in the 1780s.   Been a long time since i traced all their lines all the way back, so I just followed one line on each of those three.  One of them also goes back to this dog, which I think is hilarious.

Mr Pickering's Yellow Bitch  178?,    

Edited by Cheryl2
additional comment

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

I'm not really an expert like Dennis McKeon and Martin Roper so what I know I learned from them

This is Kiowa Sweet Trey's G-D page.

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kiowa+sweet+trey&sex=&color=&birthyear=&birthland=

If you scroll down you will see this.

Idtb5mK.png

In the vast Majority of greyhounds you will see the dog traces back to the sire Pilot. I would guess 85 percent or do.  The ones that don't will trace back to Wilby. If you go to G-D and type your dogs name in you will see either of those two names.  If you click on View X gen sire line you will see every sire in your dogs pedigree.

The dam line I was a little confused on as I remembered Dennis and Martin saying there are 46 distinct dam lines and I started a thread a few months ago trying to find those dams. What I had wrong was there are 46 distinct U.S. dam lines so on the thread I started we got over 50 different dams. So those dam lines go all the way back to English, Irish or Australian dam lines and the 46 U.S. dams are buried within those more than 50 dams that people listed.

27 minutes ago, Cheryl2 said:

I've looked at 3 of mine so far, one goes back to Niger in 178?, one back to Smoker in the 1790s and one to Tiger in the 1780s.   Been a long time since i traced all their lines all the way back, so I just followed one line on each of those three.  One of them also goes back to this dog, which I think is hilarious.

Mr Pickering's Yellow Bitch  178?,    

Cheryl,

Does the G-D page you trace back to Niger say Wilby as the 1st generation sire or it says Niger?  Interesting if it says Niger.

51 minutes ago, dmdsmoxie said:

Cheryl,

Does the G-D page you trace back to Niger say Wilby as the 1st generation sire or it says Niger?  Interesting if it says Niger.

51 minutes ago, dmdsmoxie said:

Cheryl,

I don't remember which line I followed to get back to Niger,  I just picked randomly among ancestors

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

Three of my girls (all angels now) were sired by Fortress and so also trace back to Im Slippy who was Fortress's sire.

Nadia (race name Waya) had the most interesting dam line.  She has a bitch in her direct line belonging to the Duke of Leeds (the 10th I think).  Funny thing is that I only found that out after I nicknamed her the Duchess of Blackwood.

PS:  That's Her Grace in my avatar pic

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Buddy’s got I’m Slippy in his line too. I did go back through his lines when we first got onto Greyhound Data and loved looking at the pictures of his ancestors. I was just surprised to find so many common ancestors in his fairly recent past. His family tree is more interesting than mine! It’s nice to connect with some of his distant cousins.

my little champ is currently curled up at my feet after his morning walk (thorn in his pad, zoomie in the field and discovery of a long dead rabbit whose bones he chomped through and the result is noxious gas wafting up to me)

10 hours ago, MerseyGrey said:

down to the white toes on his back left foot!

Grace also has white toes on her left back foot. It must be a very dominant gene. 

P1030792a

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Those photos of Ken on Greyhound-Data I took when he was four and first came here - he is now eight and already very grey, not just his face but his legs and shoulders and all. From another past thread on Greytalk I gather that's often a characteristic of descendants of Molotov, a prolific American sire who was his grandfather.So these days I often call Ken my silver fox  :)

If you look up my old dog Doc on greyhound-data - there's a link in my signature - he was Irish again and one of the comparatively few dogs descended from Wilby, rather than Pilot. He was a brindle and a quite stunningly handsome chap!

Both of them can count I'm Slippy amongst their ancestors.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

I’m not very good with this technology and will add a photo in a follow up post. Grace is a beauty - Buds would be jealous of her badonka butt

Buddy and Doc also share Phantom Flash in their ancestry - I could quite happily get lost in these trees although it’s obviously not the amazing coincidence I thought when I first started stalking - sorry, investigating. Although it would definitely make an episode of ‘Who do you think you are’ that I would watch. Thanks for your input everyone!

:wub: Buddy! What a sweetheart!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Grace is a beauty - Buds would be jealous of her badonka butt

In that picture, beautiful Grace looks like one of those hounds who was contemplating becoming a kangaroo, instead.  :)  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter