Sunburn?

DaveS

Our 2 yo female Hailey has taken to lying on the backyard lawn in the heat of the sun.  It's been hot here for the past few weeks, mid-90s.  While our other other two pups (a Cocker and a Corgi) are busy sniffing around and doing their business, Hailey lies on her side, legs stretched out, warming her belly.  I thought greys were supposed to be temperature sensitive, but this one seems to love the heat.  She stays like that for not too long, then comes in when the others do.  This happens several times a day.  With her thin coat on her underside, is it possible for her to get sunburned?

My Johnny used to lay in front of the sliding door, turning purple in the summer. I've heard of white cats and dogs getting sunburnt, so keep an eye on her just in case.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Yes, they can get sunburned.  Spray on baby sun screen.  And don't be alarmed if her skin turns brown or suddenly develops spots - it's just a doggy suntan (though check with your vet if they get scabby or rough-looking).

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My girl, MoMo was a dedicated sunbather, lying in the grass for long stretches of time in the hot South Carolina summer.  One of my boys, Nate, sunbathes as well, though he isn't as devoted to the practice as Mo was.  His favorite sunbathing location this summer has been in my currently empty raised garden beds.  I always laughed to see him out there--it looked as if I was growing greyhounds. :lol  It also explained what happened to my broccoli, kale and collards last winter.  <_<

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.