Odd Quirk

Jenny has a quirk that I've never encountered in any other dog; she won't eat anything from my hand. It's like she doesn't know how (which is understandable, actually).  I've been having to toss treats on the floor in order for her to take them. Anyone else's Grey do this when they first came home?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Yes, we've had a couple here, but they seem to catch on quickly!  They don't know what small treats are, so we usually start with small cubes of chicken or cheese or something they know what it is, rather than dry store-bought treats.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Yes - I had that with my girl, Sox.  Even when she was at the adoption kennel, she wouldn't take treats from anyone's hands.  I've had her 3 years now and it took her over a year to take a treat from me.  Now she will, but she won't from anyone else.

Johnny had his treat quirks, oh yes! IF he took the treat from your hand, it was only with his front nip-teeth, very gently. Sometimes, he would back up or SIT until you dropped it on the floor or in his bowl.

Gino, being a total chowhound, will take the treat and your hand in his mouth--don't worry, he doesn't bite down and his teeth are very worn or broken. He loves to catch them in the air, too.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Grace didn't used to take treats from you if they were held out but would from the flat of your hand. 

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I don't think it's unusual. Lila still won't take treats from anyone she doesn't know very well. And even then, a friend says Lila takes treats like she's taking communion. :lol:

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Jenny has begun taking small treats from the palm of my hand (after a week at home) but she seems unsure when she does. 

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

21 hours ago, MerseyGrey said:

I wish we had that problem! Buddy will currently only eat if he’s hand fed his kibble. He’s such a princess!

My senior girlie Tangerine only eats when we hand feed her too.  It's a fairly new habit of about six months now.  We call it "feeding the baby bird".   :P

Jackie with Tangerine and Chimes

Always missing Gracie, Steely, Annie, Payne, Twilite, Janey Bug, Bindi, Sophie, and Dazzle

• 2 weeks later...

One of my own, and a couple of the fosters wouldn't take treats from the hand for a while.  They just seemed confused at the idea. 

After a couple weeks they figured it out.  No biggie.  I didn't really think much of it, as they'd just come off the track, and maybe they didn't get hand-fed treats.  My Sobe's race owner contacted me as soon as I adopted him and told me of his love of marshmallows - so NO ISSUE giving him anything from hand - say "marshmallow!"  and he was THERE lol!  

We did have one skittish foster that took a bit longer to take a treat from hand, but she took a bit longer to get OK with a lot of things.  

I wouldn't worry about it.  it'll come.  Just a quirk.  

Jenny has begun to take biscuits from my hand but still will not take larger treats like tripe sticks or bullies. Those I have to toss on the floor and she'll happily snatch them up. Silly puppy!

On 8/11/2019 at 7:40 AM, LaFlaca said:

Jenny has begun to take biscuits from my hand but still will not take larger treats like tripe sticks or bullies. Those I have to toss on the floor and she'll happily snatch them up. Silly puppy!

You call that a WIN and do a happy dance! 

It was just a quirk, as you suspected from your initial post.  Fun though isn't it?  When we were fostering and one would throw us a curve-ball - I'd post and ask about it.  Every time someone had been there, done that, seen it. 

I LOVED seeing their quirks, and then their personalities develop.  I truly miss fostering, or having a new addition to the house,  because it was always such an adventure.  

Danger was a very severe spook.  It took almost a year to get him to take treats from our hand.  Kevin would set them on the island counter and he would creep up and get it.  I am the jackass and if he didn't take it from me, he didn't get it.  :lol. Between the two of us, eventually he learned to take them from our hand.  

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****