Seniors on stairs

Hi All,

I used to be on this site but haven't dropped in for some time. So long that my login information was no longer valid! Anyway, to my question...

We have two senior hounds, Lucy 9, and Al, 12. When we first got them 7 years ago we had a home with stairs. They were crazy on them...including them in their zoomie rotations. The last 4 years they have lived without stairs. We just purchased and moved into our new home with, yup, two flights of stairs. They WILL NOT have anything to do with them. Lucy tried when we first brought them in but since they are hardwood she slipped and fell. I've installed a carpet runner on the stairs now, but she's not having it.

Al, on the other hand, does not want to try them at all. He's been losing strength in his hind legs for awhile and isn't very stable to begin with, so I'm petrified that even if he does decide he wants to try that he'll take a bad fall. He's a total mama's boy and cries if I leave him downstairs when we go to bed. He has to be in the room with me. 

I've searched for this topic, and have seen some posts. I'm just wondering if anyone has a harness that works well with greyhounds. I'm thinking this is going to be a carry him with a harness issue as opposed to just helping him up and down issue. I should mention he's a big boy, tall and 80 lbs. 

Many thanks for asking this question!!  My greyhound's brother, borzoi Gus (11 and 85 pounds), is doing exactly what you describe.  Our stairs are carpeted and we have installed treads on top -- too early to tell.   There are recommendations on Greytalk titled Recommendations for Ramps and Back-End Slings.  I hope you get more ideas!

Check out the webmaster harness. It's  comfortable,  affordable and works. We had an outside open back flight of metal stairs at our rental. I found Felix needed more assistance going down vs. Up. The momentum going down can be dangerous. That is the only direction he fell. Baby gates will prevent their descent. 

I ordered the Help Em Up Harness for Rocket when his back end was giving out.  Upon receiving it I decided it was only going to be used as a a last resort because it it is heavy and cumbersome. It ended up never getting used.  Some people have had success with it, but I knew that he wasn't going to put up with me trying to put that harness on him. I know that others here have had good experiences with it, but he was also a big boy, 85 lbs at the time and the harness.  Hopefully some others will chime in with their experience, as that one gets suggested quite a bit for this situation. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Here, when my seniors could no longer climb to the second floor, I moved downstairs permanently. Prior to that I had put  carpet treads on each stair. 

The Help Em Up harness has been fabulous for my seniors, each of whom has been of varying sizes and weights, and infirmities. I can’t recommend it highly enough. It allows you to simply carry your hound like a suitcase, easy peasy. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

my friend who has borzoi swears by the help em up harness. for a BIG dog it's the answer. felix was only 29" at the shoulder and 75#. her dogs were 34+" at the shoulder. she said she could handle them like a suit case with it on and she lived 1 flight up in an old building w/ steep steps.

REI sells the webmaster harness and they have an excellent return policy even if used. 

Edited by cleptogrey

I used an assistance harness from God's Greyts etsy shop.  There's a notice on the etsy site that they're closed till Aug 3.  They supplied me with a custom-made harness very quickly.  It was light as a feather, so much so that I wondered about durability but Nutmeg had it on 24/7 for months and it held up well.  Nutmeg never seemed bothered by it, and it made getting up and down so much easier on both of us. 

I don't have stairs at my present house, but when I've had to train stairs that's how I did it; just put a harness on 'em and haul them up like a suitcase with many encouraging words and delicious treats.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter