Extreme Nervousness when away from home/human

Jeter has only been away from home without me twice in the 4+ years since he arrived.  The latest time was last week when he and Milo went into the vet's for a Double Dog Dental.  He started getting agitated and hyperpanting.  The staff turned a fan on him to cool him down, and said this helped some.  

The other time this happened, he and Milo spent about 6 hours at a doggy daycare.  Staff there reported he was fine at first, interacting with the other big dogs, enjoying schmoozing with the staff, but got increasingly agitated as time went on, to the point that they pulled him and Milo (who was fine) out into a quiet room to relax under supervision.  When I arrived to pick them up, Jeter heard my voice from the next room  and began hurling himself at the wall, trying to get to me.  

I hoped it would be better at the dentals -- he loves everybody at the vet and they love him.  Milo was in the crate next to him.  I guess it was less anxiety than he displayed at the day care, but then he spent half the day sedated and recovering from anesthesia.  

Any suggestions for next time?  He's fine when he goes to new places with me, and he's fine at home without me.  All I can think of is leaving a piece of my already-worn clothing.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Drugs will help. I used gabapentin with one of my greyhounds when we needed to make the hour trip to the oncologist for his chemo treatment - it helped to chill him out but, it will not last all day.  There are other drugs that vets use for separation anxiety that could also help.

Trazadone perhaps? It only lasts about 5-6 hours. My vet made me bring Mazy to the office after I had given her a pill. She wanted to monitor and cardiac response. All was fine and mazy was calmer.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

if it's leaving him for a procedure do talk to the vet first and he most likely will give you a rx. your clothing might help, what can i say, ellen your such a good mom that he just loves you to death. i don't know why you can't arrange to pick him up as soon as he is out of anesthesia. i did that w/ my other vet- as soon as they were up he used to like to send them home. just no stairs for 24 hrs. he's a home body, that's all. if you were to use a dog walker in the future- don't not for Jeter. ,have a person to play with him in the yard. no way should he be out without you- a truly sweet mama's boy- and a sweetie big time. as long as he is healthy- and hopefully they polished his teeth well so tarter does not accumulate. no more dentals!

if you were to use a dog walker in the future- don't not for Jeter. ,have a person to play with him in the yard.

We do have a dogwalker now, and Jeter does fine.  He knows the neighborhood, of course.  It seems to be when he is at a different place without his human.

I don't think I'm that good a dogmom :lol  I think Jeter's just a little squirrely.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter