Males vs Females

1 hour ago, ramonaghan said:

Sweep is affectionate with us both, but I have a slight edge over my husband. This is probably bc I've worked from home since we adopted her and thus have done a lot of the feeding/training/walking. She loves her papa, but she was really off when I was in the hospital with pneumonia last year, and even when I've traveled she's been a little out of sorts with just him for the first day or two. Awww.

What's funny to me is that these descriptions totally apply to cats too, at least in my experience. My boys have been huge cuddly lovebugs, while my girl is fine to do her own thing (except for about 15 minutes a day when she absolutely *demands* affection). 

The same is true with rats as well- males are a lot more friendly/cuddly where females tend to be more independent and aloof. I think the phenomenon transcends a lot of species.  

I've had both male & female,  and we just lost our "bestest boy ever":wub: :weep last week.  Kyle was our first grey and so low key and laid back, Gracie was my heart girl and picked me as her person. Both were fosters first.   Kyle was extremely low key, Gracie was more busy.  Kyle helped with all the fosters who followed, Gracie was just polite. Kyle was an awesome meet and greet dog, Gracie was "I have a home, why am I here?"   Both looked to me more than my hubby but that was because I did most everything for them.  Hubby was the great houndie massager, sneaky treat giver.  I think I personally will be looking at the boys first for my next adoption because I've had all female fosters in the years since we adopted Kyle. (He liked having a harem :lol)  That said, we've had goofy, bouncy, in your face boys, quiet laid-back girls in our kennel.  I would look at personality as the most important thing.  Good luck!  So excited for you.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

Reading some of the responses has helped normalize my understanding of our guy. He’s a 85 lb cat. Comes over two or three times an evening for a scratch and a lean then sleeps, has a few minutes of zooms then sleeps, eats then sleeps...I think I detect a pattern.🤭

2 hours ago, Fostr_Mom said:

I've had both male & female,  and we just lost our "bestest boy ever":wub: :weep last week.  Kyle was our first grey and so low key and laid back, Gracie was my heart girl and picked me as her person. Both were fosters first.   Kyle was extremely low key, Gracie was more busy.  Kyle helped with all the fosters who followed, Gracie was just polite. Kyle was an awesome meet and greet dog, Gracie was "I have a home, why am I here?"   Both looked to me more than my hubby but that was because I did most everything for them.  Hubby was the great houndie massager, sneaky treat giver.  I think I personally will be looking at the boys first for my next adoption because I've had all female fosters in the years since we adopted Kyle. (He liked having a harem :lol)  That said, we've had goofy, bouncy, in your face boys, quiet laid-back girls in our kennel.  I would look at personality as the most important thing.  Good luck!  So excited for you.

I'm so sorry for your loss.   :grouphug 

I agree that the most important thing is temperament. On the adoption application, it asks about preferences with regard to gender, color, size. My response - "It's all about the chemistry" between the dog and me.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

1 hour ago, LaFlaca said:

I'm so sorry for your loss.   :grouphug 

I agree that the most important thing is temperament. On the adoption application, it asks about preferences with regard to gender, color, size. My response - "It's all about the chemistry" between the dog and me.

Thank you, I'm sorry for your loss too. 

As the person who works on our group's applications, I LOVE your answer to the preference question.  It's perfect because that is what it is all about.  Best wishes to you as you look for your next companion. 

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

1 hour ago, Fostr_Mom said:

Thank you, I'm sorry for your loss too. 

As the person who works on our group's applications, I LOVE your answer to the preference question.  It's perfect because that is what it is all about.  Best wishes to you as you look for your next companion. 

Thank you! 

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Yep, when I put in for my second, I said that Johnny's reaction would be the deciding factor. The laid back, you stay over there, but we can walk and sniff together, type--him and Gino got along so well together.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg