Males vs Females

We'll be visiting an adoption group this Saturday to see if one of their hounds is a good match for us. After the sudden loss of our girl, Lola, we must fill the void left by her passing.

We are particularly interested in a gorgeous, black male.  I've not had a male dog in over 30 years and have never owned a male Greyhound.  

Any tips, observations, suggestions, anecdotes to share regarding the idiosyncrasies of male Greyhounds vs females?  I'm guessing that belly bands are a must until the boys are housebroken. What else?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Ours had a marking issue.  We used belly bands until he got use to the house being his kennel.  Now a year later he doesn’t need them anymore, but we are vigilant when taking him to a strange house.  Our vet said since he wasn’t neutered til he was 4 marking might be a hard habit to break but luckily he kicked it.  Only gender thing I can think of.  Other than our guy weighs 85lbs.

Love my boy, Hoku. Got him when he was two and never a problem. Boys seem to be more lovable than girls, yes I have had both. Super sweet but not clingy. He has never marked in the house...ours or anyone else’s. He has a funny habit of taking all his toys out the dog door. I scatter them about and Hoku finds them one at a time and carries them out. Silly boy!

1 hour ago, Toffeesdad said:

Ours had a marking issue.  We used belly bands until he got use to the house being his kennel.  Now a year later he doesn’t need them anymore, but we are vigilant when taking him to a strange house.  Our vet said since he wasn’t neutered til he was 4 marking might be a hard habit to break but luckily he kicked it.  Only gender thing I can think of.  Other than our guy weighs 85lbs.

The boy we're interested in is an 85 lb'er, as well. He's 3 years old. Your comment about marking validates what I was thinking about males neutered later in life. 

38 minutes ago, waialua said:

Love my boy, Hoku. Got him when he was two and never a problem. Boys seem to be more lovable than girls, yes I have had both. Super sweet but not clingy. He has never marked in the house...ours or anyone else’s. He has a funny habit of taking all his toys out the dog door. I scatter them about and Hoku finds them one at a time and carries them out. Silly boy!

I've often heard that males are kind of goofy compared to females. I look forward to the male Grey experience if it is a good match.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Girl dogs are great, especially broods who are in a class of their own. But boy dogs are the best. Pagliaccio, Segugio, Zeke-aroni, Seamie :heart :brokenheart , Androoo, Paddy Mayhem, Aiden 1-4, Bosco, Bruno, Trevor Double-Heart. 

Good luck, I hope it’s love at first sight! 

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I have only had two boys v. five girls, but I have found the girls more independent. Neither of my boys had any issues with marking. One was a racing school dropout and was neutered before he turned 2, the other was a good racer and was neutered at about 4 (I am his second home, so I am not sure exactly how old). Both boys have been goofy love bugs. 

But, they are greyhounds, you can’t go wrong :wub:

I'm on boys 4 and 5 and never had a marking problem and have never had to put a belly band on a male.  I am vigilant the first few days with both genders and hitch them to me inside with a long leash.  The instant I see/feel a leg start to twitch, I correct and hustle them outside, then throw a party.  It doesn't make for restful sleep the first few nights, but the problem-free life afterward is more than worth it.

2/5 of the males have been goofballs, 1/5 friendly but reserved, 1/5 perfect in every way, and 1/5 a sly, devious, sweet-as-pie weasel.  What's not to love?  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

8 minutes ago, FiveRoooooers said:

Girl dogs are great, especially broods who are in a class of their own. But boy dogs are the best. Pagliaccio, Segugio, Zeke-aroni, Seamie :heart :brokenheart , Androoo, Paddy Mayhem, Aiden 1-4. 

Good luck, I hope it’s love at first sight! 

Agreed.  Having Petunia who is a broodie is lots of fun and she is all business when the broodie in her kicks in, but the difference between Petunia and Rocket is literally night and day.  She's reserved but will give you her opinion when she thinks you should be doing something other than what you are doing at any given moment, and Rocket was a go-with-the-flow big goofball who would do anything for a laugh. He was hilarious and you never knew what he would do next that made you hold your sides with laughter or grab your camera. Rocket was very much in your face all day wanting to know what "we" were doing next.  Petunia just wants to know if it's time to eat yet, and if it isn't, why not? . :lol

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

1 hour ago, Time4ANap said:

Agreed.  Having Petunia who is a broodie is lots of fun and she is all business when the broodie in her kicks in, but the difference between Petunia and Rocket is literally night and day.  She's reserved but will give you her opinion when she thinks you should be doing something other than what you are doing at any given moment, and Rocket was a go-with-the-flow big goofball who would do anything for a laugh. He was hilarious and you never knew what he would do next that made you hold your sides with laughter or grab your camera. Rocket was very much in your face all day wanting to know what "we" were doing next.  Petunia just wants to know if it's time to eat yet, and if it isn't, why not? . :lol

:lol Petunia. 

This from the Greyhound Gang is also spot-on. https://www.greyhoundgang.org/learn/behaviorial/boys-vs-girls/

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I was sorry to hear about Lola. We are on our first boy so I can’t compare with a girl, but Buddy certainly matches some of the descriptions given as general boy behaviour. He’s quite clingy and loooooves people. He’s a sweet and gentle soul and a real mummy’s boy, although he gives his dad the best welcome when he comes home from work. There is one room in the house where he can’t be trusted to be alone as he likes to pee in there but otherwise he’s not really one for marking. He also likes to take his toys out to the garden one by one, but he either waits for you to notice him before he goes or he checks out of the corner of his eye to make sure you’re following him. When he gets you out there he does his best to keep away from you, not actually wanting to play, just wanting you to watch him play!

he also runs at you in order to ram his nose between your legs - from in front or behind - just to keep you on your toes I think. He’s a quirky boy. I hope you find a good match for you this weekend!

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

9 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

:lol Petunia. 

This from the Greyhound Gang is also spot-on. https://www.greyhoundgang.org/learn/behaviorial/boys-vs-girls/

OMG!  The Greyhound Gang description of females is 1000% spot on! Exactly describes my girls' personalities. Both Wendy and Lola knew what "you want loves?" meant. I'd bend down, open my arms and offer them ear rubs and petting. If they were in the mood to accept they'd come over and get loved on. If the little punks were not in the mood they'd give me a side-stink eye and walk away. The Greyhound equivalent of flipping the bird.  Attitude.  :lol:

The male Greyhound description is just what I want to experience. My only male dog ever was a lovely but very aloof Rhodesian Ridgeback. More catlike than doglike. Very regal. Independant. Beautiful.

I miss all my babies.   :sad1  Each one was a miracle and a joy in their own way.  My life would be infinitely diminished if I had not shared it with them.

13 hours ago, LaFlaca said:

The boy we're interested in is an 85 lb'er, as well. He's 3 years old. Your comment about marking validates what I was thinking about males neutered later in life. 

I've often heard that males are kind of goofy compared to females. I look forward to the male Grey experience if it is a good match.

This.  We have 9 hounds ONE being female, the other eight are males.  We love the boys.  Belly banding is easier than diapering a female- our female galga has peed in the house before, not often but it has happened. Also, some of our boys have never gone in the house.

I'm sorry you lost your Lola :heart

Edited by mom2four

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

I have to agree with e whines comments. 

When we were asopting our first Grey I had asked the group for a female, as we'd pretty much only had female dogs for years. I was worried about a male marking, given that the Greys were older when they were neutered.  

Nixon ended up choosing me, so home I went with a male, and he totally changed my mind about the boys.  So loving and affectionate! 

A year later Ruby came home and she was the exact opposite...loved on her terms. Cuddled when she wanted it.

Nigel And Sid are both cuddly Velcro dogs.

Now that Ruby has passed and we are considering another... and I would be happy with either sex... I'm glad our next prospect is a silly boy.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Johnny was my first greyhound and my first boy dog. He only peed in my house once and my parents' house once, I think he smelled cat pee and wanted to cover it! He was such a people lover, he would go up to anyone for love and/or treats. Very much my shadow, would get on the couch or bed with me and put his head in my lap. Loved to give kisses, especially if I was on the toilet, LOL. However, he hated most other dogs. He could get along with the non-pushy, calm ones--the only time him and his brother Gino would snark is when they'd lay close together and it was more like "MOM HE'S TOUCHING ME!!" even if they weren't.

I got Gino (aka Eugene or Gene), a very beta sweet black boy, in March. He got bounced for a supposed bite--he is protective of his bed and food, he'll get loud and snarky, but it's a lot of fuss. Gino is not as clingy as Johnny, but we are working on some hand-shyness and fear issues, so I'm hoping in time he will become a kissy boy, too. He did pee & poop at my Mom's house, we had gone out for the day and left him and Johnny and I think the combination of separation anxiety and strange place pushed him over the edge. I got some belly bands for next time.

Both boys are huge, silly goofballs! And I wouldn't have it any other way!:heart

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Your stories are certainly solidifying my desire for a boy-Grey. Here is the link to Ottawa, the beautiful, big boy we are considering:

https://www.greyhoundpetsfl.org/available_dogs

10 minutes ago, LaFlaca said:

Your stories are certainly solidifying my desire for a boy-Grey. Here is the link to Ottawa, the beautiful, big boy we are considering:

https://www.greyhoundpetsfl.org/available_dogs

He's got Dodgem By Design, Gable Dodge and Unruly among others in his pedigree.  It will be a fun ride!  (Rocket was a Dodgem By Design boy)   I see he has his morning ears on in that picture! :beatheart

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

3 minutes ago, Time4ANap said:

He's got Dodgem By Design, Gable Dodge and Unruly among others in his pedigree.  It will be a fun ride!  (Rocket was a Dodgem By Design boy)   I see he has his morning ears on in that picture! :beatheart

I know! I've been obsessed with reviewing Ottawa's date on G-D and thought the same as you. Lot's a very special dogs in his pedigree. What am I getting myself into?!  :lol:

2 minutes ago, MerseyGrey said:

What a handsome boy! It’s so hard to choose just one from that selection!

For sure! Olark is spectacular. Linsey is adorable. Ottawa interests me not only because he's gorgeous but because he's cat and small dog safe. That's an important consideration for me since when our family visits they often bring their dogs and sometimes even the cat with them. Get-togethers at our house are fun!  The kennel volunteer that I'm in communication with has described Ottawa as a kennel 'favorite' and 'a real gem'.  Saturday cannot arrive soon enough! Adoption anxiety to the max.

He looks perfect!  :wub:

I'll just echo what everyone else has said, and add that the bigger the boy the more laid back and awesome they are!  I tend to gravitate towards that kind of energy in a dog, but my DH loveslovesloves the girls (and they love him!).  So we try and keep things sort of balanced in the pack between boys and girls.  We'll be bringing home another girl at the end of August though, meaning we'll have one senior boy and three females.  Should be an interesting first month or so!

We've never had a marking issue with our boys.  Keep to a strict potty training schedule and watch them carefully to get them outside right away and there's no problems.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

never ever had a marking issue with any of my male dogs, be it terrier, saluki, greyhound or whippet. i also watch a new dog in the house like a hawk so if need be a correction is instantaneous.

boys are big lovable babies- peter pan dogs to the very end, especially the greyhounds. 

the girls seem to be all business, the brains behind the operation. best of luck- hope he fits! just go with the fit, that's a nice looking group of dogs. annie and felix both had similar lineage. if this boy is like felix you'll have a blast!

Edited by cleptogrey

Do you guys feel that the female dogs gravitate more towards human males and the male dogs towards their human female owners?

13 minutes ago, LaFlaca said:

Do you guys feel that the female dogs gravitate more towards human males and the male dogs towards their human female owners?

Not always.  Rocket was my sidekick, attached at my hip.  He loved DW, but there was no doubt that he was Daddy's boy first and foremost.

Petunia is a little more neutral between us although she has recently started whining if I leave or I go to take a nap in another room. She wants me next to her when I'm home. 

our dogs gravitate towards the person who feeds them! 

we found it best that each of us did obedience classes with each dog. it assures bonding and the same commands. i also looked for a male teacher for DH, he has enough women in his life. even if it was just one semester, it helped.

our current boy grew up in a house hold w/ a divorced woman. he's so affectionate with and teases DH all the time, but is really my boy. it's just how it unfolds.

1 hour ago, LaFlaca said:

Sweep is affectionate with us both, but I have a slight edge over my husband. This is probably bc I've worked from home since we adopted her and thus have done a lot of the feeding/training/walking. She loves her papa, but she was really off when I was in the hospital with pneumonia last year, and even when I've traveled she's been a little out of sorts with just him for the first day or two. Awww.

What's funny to me is that these descriptions totally apply to cats too, at least in my experience. My boys have been huge cuddly lovebugs, while my girl is fine to do her own thing (except for about 15 minutes a day when she absolutely *demands* affection). 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart