Dog door specs question

SWD

If you have a dog door for your greys, can you share the dimensions (width/height/rise) and brand you have? I searched the archives and am thoroughly confused.... On the Pet Door Guys site, it says the top edge should be at least 1 inch taller than the dog's shoulder, but that means my dog needs an opening that is 30" high and I can't seem to find one for my sliding glass door at that height. What do you all have, other than shorter hounds?

I had an 11 X 7.5 Petsafe in a solid door with an 12"  rise. Eighty pounds went through fine. The sliding ones have an 8.5 " rise., but I have seen dogs that learned to scooch down a bit (for lack of a better term).

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

7 minutes ago, Hubcitypam said:

I had an 11 X 7.5 Petsafe in a solid door with an 12"  rise. Eighty pounds went through fine. The sliding ones have an 8.5 " rise., but I have seen dogs that learned to scooch down a bit (for lack of a better term).

Thanks 

What about when they start to get older and joints don't bend so easily? I worry about old-age scooching....

My dog door was chosen to accommodate an average size male Greyhound who was extra wobbly because he took anti-seizure drugs, and a 20 pound Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, who couldn't handle much of a rise.  It's huge enough for plump me to crawl into the house through it if need be.  No need to ask how I might know such a thing, OK?  :lol   It worked well for both dogs but is not designed for a slider, but to fit into a wooden door.  I'll measure and check the brand when I get home.

When looking, I really liked https://www.petdoors.com/ for their helpful info on sizing pet door and their wide variety of options.

Mine are 27" in length, 19" wide and mounted 7" above the floor.  Bigger that necessary for my hound, but it accommodated both a large and a small dog well.

Edited by LBass

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.