Pro Plan Savor Weight Mangement

Purina Pro Plan SAVOR Shredded Blend Adult Weight Management Formula Dry Dog Food, to be precise.

I'm trying to manage Bella's pancreatitis with getting her to ingest some many needed calories. From what I understand (can't quite get a straight answer from my vet) around 10% is about the highest fat I'd want to give her. She's been on Royal Canin gastrointestinal but we end up throwing a lot away. She won't eat much of HIlls i/d, either. I'm adding a few things in that she'll actually eat (thanks to @FiveRoooooers and Seamie's list :beatheart) but she still ends up picking and not eating enough. Trying to experiment with some kibbles that she'll eat so that we at least get a good base of calories in her and came across this. Know it's up to 12% fat so know it's a little higher fat than is probably ok but given that she's *supposed* to be eating 5.5 cups of Royal Canin a day and she only generally eats 2.5-3.5 on a good day, am I wrong to not be too concerned? 

Anyone feed this? I know a lot of people here feed Pro Plan formulas and are having good results. 

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

it all depends upon .....everything as i know having fed a dog w/ pancreatitis. yup, how well the pancreas is functioning. my vet wanted felix on under 6% fat- good luck, mmmm wonder about the grain free

https://www.solidgoldpet.com/product/fit-fabulous-weight-control/

i tried science diet- i was desperate and figured i would just look at caloric/fat content. there was one, can't find it right now that was under 12%. the solid gold was way out of my budget- that's when i decided vitamins and what ever. amazon sell rx vitamins for dogs- b complex w/ amino acids, clay- for loose poop,  etc.  unfortunately as some dogs age and body functions diminish they loose weight.  no way can you get more than 2 c of kibble into her on a good day. it's difficult- it's  just like getting food into my 96 year old mom on a bad day. have you tried cereal- yup dry cereal mixed into the food? Cheerios, etc are SWEET! felix loved all of them and rice crispies are a hoot when you add chicken broth. one needs a good laugh daily- try it!

:lol: I LOVE it - we have tons of rice Krispies, will definitely try that and report back 😀

I guess I will keep trying things and try to avoid her getting the runs and see how it goes. Guess I need to learn that trial and error is the new normal with this senior girl.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

GTer and veterinarian Jjng has mentioned Purina Pro Plan Savor on FB posts. She's on FB as Jennifer Ng.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

On 7/12/2019 at 10:11 AM, sarabz said:

😀

I guess I will keep trying things and try to avoid her getting the runs and see how it goes. Guess I need to learn that trial and error is the new normal with this senior girl.

get some RX VITAMIN CLAY(amazon has it) and just add it to her food. don't even think about it- good stuff in there! 

• 2 weeks later...

I will second the RxVitamin products.  We used the clay with Allie when she was here to help with diarrhea, and our vet actually prescribed the RxBiotic and RxZyme for Petunia while we are doing these intense hookworm treatments. Petunia had blowout diarrhea due to the hookworm meds and these 2 products got her formed back up. We are keeping her on it since we are still doing a modified version of Dr. Ng's protocol and every poop literally bounces. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life