Ear Cleaning

Jumbo cotton balls and an ear cleaning solution. (I don't have a preference.)

Soak the ball in the solution. Hold the cotton in your hand a moment so it warms up. Put the ball in the dog's ears and massage the ear from the outside. Then wipe inside briefly with the cotton and remove it. Repeat on the other ear. Different cotton balls in each ear to avoid spreading any infection from one ear to the other. If you wind up with too much solution in the dog's ears, you can put a dry cotton ball in and massage to dry it out.

If you ever have to put a liquid medicine in your dog's ears, work outside. The dog will shake his head when the liquid hits and you'll have solution  everywhere.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

You can also get pre moistened wipes specifically for dog's ears

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I've found that cotton pads work better than balls, and then just getting in there with the pad on my finger. I've only used solution to moisten the pad when the gunk I could see was too dry to stick to the pad. A headlamp is helpful too, because you almost need three hands - 1 for the cotton, 1 to hold the ear in place, and 1 to shine the light. And maybe another to give some treats :)

I use a baby wipe, once a week; works well and is gentle. Neither of my two ever seemed to get very dirty ears!  I tend to associate those with lowerslung dogs with dangling heavily furred ears, like spaniels.

Some UK greyhounds used to be very sensitive when first adopted about having their ears handled, because their tattoos would be checked whenever they raced, not that gently. Probably less of an issue now that they are all microchipped.

Doc in particular grew to l-o-o-v-e having his ears handled and would groan with pleasure as the babywipe did its work. Silly boy!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Doc in particular grew to l-o-o-v-e having his ears handled and would groan with pleasure as the babywipe did its work. Silly boy!

Sometimes called an "eargasm."  :)  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

generally a dog with prick or rosette ears will get some dirt in their ears from running. but if there is brown accumulated gunk and a smell to accompany it along w/ head shaking it might be an infection. dogs with flop ears are more often prone to infections since the sun doesn't shine there- lack of air to dry it out. if your dog has gunk but no other signs as mentioned above- gentle cleaning, don't go deep and bring this to your vet's attention.