Any thoughts about Royal Canin Adult. My vet feeds it to his dogs. I have been feeding Zignature. I am freaked about the DCM.

Edited by beledi
adding

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

The World Small Animal Veterinary Assoc. recommends Merrick, Eukanuba, Royal Canin, Hill's, and Purina.  These are recommended because they have a vet nutritionist on staff, they test before, during and after manufacture, and they know from whom they source their ingredients, among other things.  My budget says Proplan is the one for us.  I'm feeding the senior one.

Our vet recommended Royal Canin and Hills. We recently switched to Hills but Buddy’s being a bit fussy with it so we are going back to RC as he rarely skipped a meal with this

11 hours ago, oldrunners said:

The World Small Animal Veterinary Assoc. recommends Merrick, Eukanuba, Royal Canin, Hill's, and Purina.  These are recommended because they have a vet nutritionist on staff, they test before, during and after manufacture, and they know from whom they source their ingredients, among other things.  My budget says Proplan is the one for us.  I'm feeding the senior one.

I've fed IAMS Mini-chunks in the green bag for years to campers young and old. Last year when the three girls arrived I put them on Purina Dog Chow Natural, which doesn't have the crap in Dog Chow, especially the red and blue dyes. Cletus is on it now also and I am thinking of moving everyone over to this kibble. They are doing so very well on it - beautiful shiny coats and their poop is, well, it's awesome. And, they love it! I can't find this brand locally but Chewy has it.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees: Aiden. Bea. Punkin. Annie. Miss M. Cletus, knot like the others.

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno.Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

16 hours ago, oldrunners said:

Even though Merrick is technically under the parent company that owns Purina, I don't think it meets the WSAVA guidelines fully. Just because it's the same parent company doesn't mean it's the same food. I personally find it alarming that there were enough cases of DCM in dogs on Merrick for the FDA to call them out by name.

My understanding (after many hours reviewing materials on the DCM facebook group) is that only Purina, Eukanuba, Royal Canin, Hills and Iams meet WSAVA standards and have had no cases. Other brands under their parent companies do not necessarily meet the guidelines.

It's also important to note that the WSAVA doesn't recommend specific brands, or give them any kind of seal of approval. When a brand meets the guidelines set down by WSAVA the company can claim that on their labeling.

Edited by Bizeebee

Very good point, Bizeebee, and one I hadn't realized. And the more I think about it, I seem to recall Iams being mentioned early on.  I think all this info is overwhelming my brain.  I don't want to mislead anyone, so, in future, I will only comment as it relates to my dog.

Started feeding Royal Canin adult large yesterday as a alternate change. Dogs both seem to like it.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb