About a months ago I notice our Gré had a limp after dog park. After xrays we found out he has a fracture in his growth plate. Right away our vet suggested surgery, but due to cost as well as recommendation to get a second opinion, we had them apply a splint. Now the vet says to keep it on to the 4 week point because its possible it maybe be healed since he is a puppy and thats when we can do xrays again. After getting a second opinion from a surgeon they agreed to the same plan.

Our current consern is what is happening under the wrapping and splint. Our vet noticed two sores at his elbow (from splint being to short and rubbing), and at his back pad. Said it was minor didnt show us any visuals and prescribed antibiotics. Few days later Gré managed to chew off by his elbow and i saw it was not minor and rushed him to a new vet and saw they were pretty bad (attached images) and there is now one on front of leg that seems to get worse with each dressing change. He has the splint for one more week before his new xray to check for healing of fracture. Im concerned that the sores will get worse and have a hard time healing and will have to do a skin surgery the surgeon suggested then stitches. 

Has anyome experienced this, and found any way to limit irratation, sores, wounds? Anyone know of any vets in nyc knowledgeable of Italian greyhounds?

Brokem heart for my grés leg. Going in for a fracture and ending up with sores and raw skin all over his leg that could be worse!! I feel like they need air to heal, but sadly it has to be wrapped for the splint.

20190702_194558.jpg

20190702_194611.jpg

20190702_194608.jpg

I am so sorry that this is happening to your dog.  This is pretty common.  We were very lucky when Shine broke her ankle.  Our vet changed the casts every two weeks and he really packed it well with padding.  She had no sores or irritation.  

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

The only comfort I can offer is that greyhounds have tremendous healing capabilities. When Grace had her foot operation to remove the webbing between two toes even the vet was surprised at how quickly the wound healed. 

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I wonder if applying manuka honey could help? That promotes granulation of open wounds and so speeds the healing process; it has antiseptic properties too.  I'm just not sure how well it could work under a close, heavy dressing. Do discuss it with your vet; it was mine who put me onto its use originally.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Yes, pressure sores are very common.  The only solution I have ever found - unfortunately through experience  - is to have the bandaging changed every 4-5 days.  You'll have to pay extra for it, but it needs to be done.  They also need to use twice the padding they think they do.  If they can stabilize the break without using a hard splint it will really help, but it means you have to be extra vigilant about keeping him quiet and off the leg as much as possible.

You need to start antibiotics asap before they get infected further.  Once the bandaging is done with, use every available modality at your disposal to get those wounds healed up quickly - manuka honey, cold laser, water therapy, antibiotic spray, dermagel.  Do some research here to get some ideas.  And you must must must keep him from licking them until they are completely healed. 

What all the medicals suggested wasn't necessarily wrong.  It would have worked fine on 95% of the dog breeds out there.  Sighthounds - even tiny ones! - need a different solution due to their super thin skin.  Hopefully his break will be healed by next week.  You will still need to monitor his activities and not let him stress the site for a while.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Yes, please let us know how the poor chap's doing! I forgot to mention that  last year Ken somehow managed to fracture a wrist bone; that needed heavy bandaging initially, which our vet insisted on checking and changing it every three days or so, for the same reasons as greysmom. We had I think two changes and then it came off, because she was worried that even with these precautions it was beginning to chafe him.

After that we were able to cope with no bandage, and me restricting exercise and preventing him jumping around. But whether that's feasible for Gré will depend on just which bone is broken, and how badly I guess.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

• 2 months later...

In my personal opinion bandages should be changed every 2-3 days. No matter what the reason for the bandage. I have a little girl who was bandaged by an incompetent vet with the opinion 'it will heal thyself'.  Maybe. It will rot first, then heal in a broken, crooked or disjointed position. Get a second opinion, get it properly corrected, and cross the first vet off your list.