Puncture wounds to leg

So we were attacked by two off leash dogs tonight, well one was attacking, the other was sort of along for the ride. It could have been a lot worse, the dog that was aggressing was fearful and would charge and retreat, but while Skye had the second dog pinned down the charging dog apparently managed to bite Violet, who was just trying to stay out of the whole thing. :weep

They're not serious, one puncture wound and the other is a tiny puncture that's not much more than a scrape, but there is some bruising and they're painful. I feel so bad as I had checked her over and didn't find them, then she got up a little bit ago and didn't want to walk. I thought initially it was her disc until I started massaging her and noticed some blood. 

Anyway, on to my actual question...I've cleaned them really well with Chlorhexidine solution and put a good glob of my favorite anti-bacterial wound care, Derma Gel on each of them and then bandages and wrapped with vet wrap. There's no way the vet wrap is going to stay on though. I doubt we'll even make it upstairs to bed with it on. So what's our best option? Try to bandage better, or is it better to leave them exposed and if so, some sort of kids pants that hang over, or head collar? She's going to hate any of it, but hopefully they heal quickly. Asking now so I can go shopping after work tomorrow morning if I need to. 

The wounds are on the outside of her back right leg near her knee. The more serious one is up her hamstring a bit and the smaller one is just down below her knee. 

Thanks in advance for your GT wisdom!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

3 hours ago, Remolacha said:

I would leave them open unless you think she will mess with them, in which case, kid's pants, or cut off sweat pants.

Thanks. I think we have a bigger problem. She appears to have a muscle or tendon injury, I think either her calf muscle or a tendon/ligament that inserts into it just on the inside above the knee.

We had crying out when she stood up with the wrap on so that came off immediately. She barely wants to put weight on it and just getting her to the bedroom for bed ended with her panting heavily. 

She's already on Galliprant, Robaxim, and Gabapentin for her disc issue so I iced it and did a round of the Assisi loop before we went to sleep. Hoping it's better and not worse when we get up. 

Edited by NeylasMom

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

VET!!!! do you know who the owner is? the owner should pay for the vet bill. my welshie was attacked by a neighbor's loose dog- it came charging out of their drive way into our driveway. his thick double coat protected him. willie chased knockout back- nipped her- i received a bill. the city was going to be notified if i didn't pay it- i'm so glad they couldn't afford their home and sold.

How is your girl feeling this morning?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

1 hour ago, macoduck said:

How is your girl feeling this morning?

Not great. :( She is still struggling to get up without assistance because she doesn't want to use that leg, though she did a little better going out for a potty walk. We are doing the Assisi loop (similar if not better benefits than cold laser) as often as we can, we've done it 3x since last night and I am icing it. I'm going to send videos to her PT shortly so she can advise on what she thinks is going on and whether we need to schedule an ortho visit asap. I had to work this morning and my vet closes at noon, but I really don't think there's anything more she can do for her. 

This totally sucks. :(

The one positive, the wounds were pretty superficial and they've already scabbed over a bit and Violet is leaving them alone so the Derma Gel stayed on overnight (I had her lay down so the wounds were facing up).

Thanks for checking in. I feel so bad for her. She's had so many ortho issues, we did not need these. And she was just minding her own business trying to stay out of the fray.

It's probably not the bites that are causing the problem. 

She most likely strained/sprained something trying to get away from the attacker.  Check for pain over her hip/spine, and into her "knee" area, and up her hamstring in the back of her thigh.  Other than an actual pain reliever like codiene she's already getting everything to help that sort of injury so it's probably going to just take time to get better.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

36 minutes ago, greysmom said:

It's probably not the bites that are causing the problem. 

She most likely strained/sprained something trying to get away from the attacker.  Check for pain over her hip/spine, and into her "knee" area, and up her hamstring in the back of her thigh.  Other than an actual pain reliever like codiene she's already getting everything to help that sort of injury so it's probably going to just take time to get better.

Thanks. I'm a little concerned given the amount of pain that it's a tendon/ligament issue rather than muscular, but we'll see. If so, I think not surgical since she's putting some weight on it, but we discussed PRP treatment for her last tendon injury so I'd like to see her Ortho sooner than later if it might be something like that. Her PT watched the video and was concerned too. I've left a message with our Ortho to get her in asap if she's not drastically better by Monday AM. 

If anyone is interested, the video is here:

It's very clear where the pain is. You can see the spot where she helps in the first video and when standing she'll yelp if I palpate there or inside a bit into her calf muscle. It's definitely coming from that area behind her knee, near the larger puncture. 

The GH union does not allow a member to strain or suffer at all.....so Felix told me! It's a quick easy file and they are on workmans comp. He showed me that many times.

Yes, your ortho person should give a look. Hooefully by monday the bruising and pain will subside. Dog bites are painful.

I guess violet got out of a bath and grooming this weekend.

2 hours ago, cleptogrey said:

The GH union does not allow a member to strain or suffer at all.....so Felix told me! It's a quick easy file and they are on workmans comp. He showed me that many times.

Yes, your ortho person should give a look. Hooefully by monday the bruising and pain will subside. Dog bites are painful.

I guess violet got out of a bath and grooming this weekend.

:lol Indeed she did. Thanks for that much needed laugh.

And thanks to everyone as always for the advice and support. Violet seems to be moving better this evening so I am hopeful this isn't as scary as it first looked. Ortho's office has been in touch and we will reconnect by Monday to figure out a time to get her in this week if it seems like she still needs it. For now, she is happily chewing on her bone and I am maybe not happily but destressingly drinking my wine. :P

Quick final update - Violet is much better. She had some nasty bruising appear on Sunday, but it's cleared up and she's no longer lame. We saw the Ortho to be safe on Tuesday and she had a hematoma, but no concerns about anything more serious.

I absolutely swear by the Assisi Loop at this point. We've been using it for her disc issues and I've always suspected it helps, but it's so hard to tell with so many variables. With this all I was doing was icing and the loop. The bruising that appeared was gone in 24 hours. :o

Anyway, Skye is having a harder time emotionally, but at least Violet is better and doesn't seem to have any new anxiety about dogs.

Glad to hear she’s on the mend 

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross