What's your favorite grooming tool

It's that time of year, the girls are shedding an INSANE amount. Violet's coat looks like crap because of all the dead fur that needs to come out. For Skye (my mixed breed) we can use the wire brush to get tons of fur out, but that's too harsh for Violet. Up until now I've been using a grooming mitt and it does an okay job, but not great. What are you guys using for your greyhounds that is gentle enough for their lack of body fat, but does a decent job of getting the dead fur out? 

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I have a rubber brush. It's almost like a hound glove but the bristles are longer and more flexible/softer. It's big and oval almost like a brush for a horse. I've never really seen another one like it - mine is a Martha Stewart brand I believe.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I use the Zoom Groom for regular brushing, and when Val sheds, she has a much thicker coat than Conner, I use a shedding tool I got at PetSmart (I think) It is a metal loop with tiny saw teeth, like a hacksaw blade, that really pulls the dead hair out, but the teeth are small enough not to scratch her skin, although I am very careful going over the bony parts. 

Zoom Groom is fabulous for removing dead fur followed by a good brushing with an equine, soft bristle finishing brush for a super shiny coat.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Another vote for the Zoom Groom.

Except for Lilly who has a weird double coat like a labrador.  It's seriously the thickest coat I've ever seen on a purebred greyhound.  She gets a metal horse curry comb.  Though I still have to be careful brushing her due to her super sensitive skin and being ticklish!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Ha, okay, we have a zoom groom. Haven't used it in ages. I'll try it and see if it does a better job. 

Edited by NeylasMom

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

A bath and let the shedding begin! My friend, a retired groomer, uses Pantene on her i.g. and Afghan. Just used it today on the ever so dirty Jamie. No one has mentioned the terminator. I haven't had dogs with that much coat. I used a soft rubber curry comb.

2 hours ago, cleptogrey said:

A bath and let the shedding begin! My friend, a retired groomer, uses Pantene on her i.g. and Afghan. Just used it today on the ever so dirty Jamie. No one has mentioned the terminator. I haven't had dogs with that much coat. I used a soft rubber curry comb.

Yeah, you're right. Every time I brush them I mumble to myself that I should really be giving them a bath. Skye is easy because I can take her to the local pet shop and use their self grooming tub, but Violet can't get in those tubs. We don't have a great spot at home for it so I'm leaving that as my last resort. 

The zoom groom helped. It seems to get out more of the top coat. I decided to try the wire brush gently on her less bony areas and the amount of soft undercoat that came out was insane. But there's only so much I can do of that as it starts to irritate her. Between the two though we managed to get a ton out. 

The throw on my couch seems to be doing a good job of getting rid of the loose hair.....

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

3 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

The throw on my couch seems to be doing a good job of getting rid of the loose hair.....

Yep, that's what's been working for us so far :lol

My favorite is the Oster equine finishing brush:

soft, long bristles, nicely shaped grip design, large enough to brush Greyhound bodies quickly.

https://www.equestriancollections.com/horse-healthcare/horse-grooming-supplies/curry-combs-brushes/oster-soft-finishing-brush

Equine flexible rubber curry combs work during major shedding times but my favorite year round is the finishing brush.