DCM - Updated information 6/27/2019 from FDA

Thank you so very much for posting this link. Personally, I am extremely concerned with the link that DCM seems to have to grain-free dog food. I make every effort to feed all my pets the very best diet available for their particular species. The thought that my dog can become ill and even die because of inadequate nutrition is very distressing.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

13 hours ago, LaFlaca said:

Thank you so very much for posting this link. Personally, I am extremely concerned with the link that DCM seems to have to grain-free dog food. I make every effort to feed all my pets the very best diet available for their particular species. The thought that my dog can become ill and even die because of inadequate nutrition is very distressing.

If you haven't already, mosey on over to the Nutritional Dilated Cardiomyopathy group on Facebook. It dives into this issue a lot more (it's not as simple as "avoid grain-free"), and the vets and admins there have been saying the same things the FDA just officially said, for MONTHS.

30 minutes ago, Bizeebee said:

If you haven't already, mosey on over to the Nutritional Dilated Cardiomyopathy group on Facebook. It dives into this issue a lot more (it's not as simple as "avoid grain-free"), and the vets and admins there have been saying the same things the FDA just officially said, for MONTHS.

I am social media averse, however, I may reconsider Facebook just for this.

It's interesting to note that chickpeas, peas, lentils, potatoes etc. are also in grain-inclusive diets so, no, it's not as simple as avoiding grain free.

Edited by LaFlaca

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

16 minutes ago, LaFlaca said:

I am social media adverse, however, I may reconsider Facebook just for this.

It's interesting to note that chickpeas, peas, lentils, potatoes etc. are also in grain-inclusive diets so, no, it's not as simple as avoiding grain free.

They do have most of the researched resources on an outside site - https://taurinedcm.org/taurine_dcm_pdfs/

The group is great, in some ways, but also demonstrates some of the reasons people are social media averse (for good reason!) Get 70K people together in one group, and there's bound to be a bit of drama, but it is pretty well moderated. If you need/like the emotional testimonials (it's tragic how many there are) then it'd be good to check the group out.

1 minute ago, Bizeebee said:

They do have most of the researched resources on an outside site - https://taurinedcm.org/taurine_dcm_pdfs/

The group is great, in some ways, but also demonstrates some of the reasons people are social media averse (for good reason!) Get 70K people together in one group, and there's bound to be a bit of drama, but it is pretty well moderated. If you need/like the emotional testimonials (it's tragic how many there are) then it'd be good to check the group out.

Thanks for this link. I've bookmarked it. I'm going to check out FB, as well. I can always opt out if I want to.

Personally I believe there is reason to be concerned-the numbers don't lie and its not a food company that published this latest data but rather the FDA. However, instead of arguing or debating about this that or the other point, like so many do on social media, my thought is this: why take the chance? Personally if there is even a legitimate hint that ANYTHING (not just food) may harm my dogs, in any way, then I am done with whatever it is. I can always replace whatever it is with something that is available that has been shown to be safe historically.  IMO its just not worth taking a chance with my dogs life over. Where there's smoke there's fire. JMO.

Thank you for posting the link. I am so torn with what to do for our one greyhound who is allergic to just about everything. We had to switch him to a limited ingredient, grain-free diet earlier this year and he has never been better (not itchy, no more stomach upset / inflammation), etc. Nonethless, as others have mentioned ...I would prefer not risking anything when it comes to my grey. #atalossforwhatisbest

OWNER OF "KEEPER INTREPID" & "WIND AS WITNESS"

8 minutes ago, GreyhoundGuru87 said:

Thank you for posting the link. I am so torn with what to do for our one greyhound who is allergic to just about everything. We had to switch him to a limited ingredient, grain-free diet earlier this year and he has never been better (not itchy, no more stomach upset / inflammation), etc. Nonethless, as others have mentioned ...I would prefer not risking anything when it comes to my grey. #atalossforwhatisbest

If you haven't been there yet, that DCM facebook group has some resources for people in your situation (albeit with dogs of all types). I know I've seen discussions of nutritionists and online resources for owners who are forced by allergies/etc to make their own food for their dogs, but there is also a lot of information about the various veterinary diets and limited ingredient diets from brands that have not had any DCM cases. And there are good resources there, and here, to help figure out what your dog is actually sensitive/allergic to and how to deal with what you find out.

(PS - I dont think hashtags are a thing here on GT....:) )

I've always rotated my dogs' food, both kibble and canned, adding in organ meats, sardines and mackerel on a regular basis. Wondering if, barring food sensitivities, that might be the way to go.