tummy noises

Val didn't eat breakfast this morning, which happens 1-2 a week, so I didn't think anything of it. Late this afternoon her tummy started making squeaky gurgley noises and, not surprisingly, she didn't want her dinner. (Conner made sure nothing went to waste) I gave her a pepcid, but I am not sure what else to do. She hasn't thrown up, no diarrhea, she was fine yesterday, so I don't know what it could be.

Any suggestions welcome.

This happens occasionally with my girl, Sox.  Same as Val, Sox is hesitant to eat when the gurglies start.  What usually works for me is I fix Sox a small meal of her regular food (add a little hot water if you feed only dry) but add something a bit special to it - some pieces of cooked chicken or pieces of cheese - whatever she really likes. This it just to get her started eating.  Once she starts eating she usually finishes the small meal and then she's back on her regular schedule of feeding.  It varies sometimes with Sox - if I get that small meal to her right away when the gurgley stomach starts, she may eat that small meal right then and the stomach noises stop. Other times she isn't interested in eating even that small meal until a few hours later and after the noises stop.  

I experiment with whatever I need to get her started eating that small meal. Good luck.

Sounds like gastritis. Lola had the squeaky-gurgles when she had hookworms. The first time I heard it, I thought some little critter had gotten into the house.  She would skip meals during that time, as well. Lord, I hope it's not devil-worms and just an upset tummy! Maybe try giving her a pre/probiotic? Some yogurt?  Our vet suggested Beano (one a day) which worked well.

Feel better sweet Val. :kiss2

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

15 hours ago, Remolacha said:

Borborygmi! 

My IBD dog gets like this when his IBD is bothering him.  Squelches, inappetence, nausea, obsessive grass eating, vomit, and usually stool issues a little later.

It was SUPER bad before we got him diagnosed and on IBD meds.  

Edited by Shannon
Typo

Just now seeing this. This is what Rocket always went through with stress colitis.  

I could usually get him to eat the canned chicken dog food from Evangers.  I would give him half a can and then wait 3-4 hours. After 3-4 hours with something in his belly, he would eat normally.  For him it usually happened early in the morning, so I could give him the canned food around 5 or 6 AM when it started, and at 10 AM he would gobble down a normal breakfast. 

My cue with him when this happened was that he would turn down a Milk Bone. If he turned those down we went straight to the canned food.  You might also try giving her a regular Gas-X just in case the squeals were gas and she a little gas pain. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Thanks all. The noises stopped last evening, but she passed some WMD gas :fart and this morning I saw she had thrown up a bunch of grass in the bedroom. (I was sleeping on the couch in the living room) That seems to have cleared out whatever was bothering her, she ate breakfast and seems fine today. Probably my fault, I forbade her getting sick while I was dealing with the two old men :lol 

I used to keep gas-X on hand for Fletcher with his IBS, think I will get some again.

we just went thru this with jamie. great poops, gurgles galore, gas to clear a room and grass barfs. so, i pulled out the rice cooker, my stash of ID cans, probiotics and pecid ac. as it turns out i just received a new bag of kibble- summer spoils??? he ate some strange stuff in the yard(he buries bones all the time)??  who knows? getting a new bag of kibble and going from there.  when it's the runs, stomach gurgles and gas then i watch like a hawk- it's the runs that dehydrates the animal. yeah, they got into something.

Yes, our IBS dog goes through this when she's having a flare up or has gotten into something she shouldn't.  Several smaller, tastier meals help to get her system on track again.

But check for hooks just in case.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

21 hours ago, Remolacha said:

I used to keep gas-X on hand for Fletcher with his IBS, think I will get some again.

When I would give it to Rocket he could almost burp the alphabet when the gas came up. :bgeorge  It's good stuff. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Our hound will go through cycles of this, feeding more meals throughout the day helps, for example our hound gets 4 cups of food a day- 1.5 in the am, 1/2 cup at noon, 1.5 in the evening and 1/2 cup right before bed. 

If the squeaks have already started- he'll turn his nose up at kibble, but the one thing he has reliably always eaten is bread. 1 slice of bread seems to do the trick and soaks up the acid/bile. After a few minutes he's ready to eat kibble mixed with warm water and all is back to normal. 

• 2 weeks later...

My hound Pablo used to do this all the time! Found out that he has hookworm (fighting it for 3 months now) and also that he needed a bedtime snack to keep his stomach happy until breakfast. My current feeding schedule for Pablo is 1.5 cups dry food in AM, 1 cup in PM, and 1/2 cup before bed plus some treats in between...and it works great!  Pablo doesn't realize eating would make him feel better so I usually had to entice him with a small amount of kibble mixed in with cheese or some other yummy treat. I have also just taken the uneaten food away after 30 minutes and kept right on schedule with meals. Don't worry, your hound can go without food for a day. Usually by the end of the day, the gurgling was gone and Pablo was ready to eat!