Invest bottom licking

Our 10yo girl Daisy has always had to have her anal glands expressed, she starts to lick her bottom, we take her to the vet, sorted for another couple of months.

However this last time she hasn't stopped licking, it mainly seems to be her anus but sometimes it's her lady parts and also all around the tops of her thighs. She licks much more at night and gets really stressed by it but doesn't seem as bothered during the day. She has just been wormed.

The vet doesn't know what's going on and just wondered if anyone had any suggestions? I've ordered some virbac epi soothe shampoo which I thought would be worth a try.

Any thoughts much appreciate.

I would also check for a uti or infection in the glands, and/or any urine leaking issues.  And at 10 she may be starting to exhibit some signs of dementia,  since this is only happening at night.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

1 minute ago, greysmom said:

I would also check for a uti or infection in the glands, and/or any urine leaking issues.  And at 10 she may be starting to exhibit some signs of dementia,  since this is only happening at night.

Thank you. That's a sad thought, it does seem obsessive but hadn't thought of demential. The glands have been checked for infection but hadn't checked for UTI.

My Lola has this problem also. She does have atopic dermatitis and takes Apoquel, which helps, although it's not a magic bullet. Sometimes the itching is so severe that she yelps. I've tried every itch-shampoo on the market. I give her pre/probiotics. Her anal glands are fine. It's not longer a problem of hookworms. We've done the food allergy thing. We're going to the vet tomorrow. If I get any pertinent information, I'll share. I'm planning on broaching the topic of a possible yeast overgrowth. :dunno

14 hours ago, MattB said:

Thank you. That's a sad thought, it does seem obsessive but hadn't thought of demential. The glands have been checked for infection but hadn't checked for UTI.

Check for internal parasites. God forbid! 

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Well, the visit to the vet proved inconclusive. No parasites, nothing in anal glands, cytology showed nothing out of the ordinary as far as bacteria or yeast.  So the vet prescribed a topical approach to relieve the itching; GenOne spray (basically Gentamicin Sulfate) and O.T.C. Miconazole Nitrate to be applied to the area once a day.  We'll try this for one month and see how Lola does. The vet does have one more thing up her sleeve if these meds don't help. Eye drops! She told me that there are these  eye drops used to treat canine dry eye that have been shown to help in itch relief. Unfortunately, I've forgotten the name of the drops. 

Good luck with Daisy. I hope she finds some relief.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

5 hours ago, LaFlaca said:

Well, the visit to the vet proved inconclusive. No parasites, nothing in anal glands, cytology showed nothing out of the ordinary as far as bacteria or yeast.  So the vet prescribed a topical approach to relieve the itching; GenOne spray (basically Gentamicin Sulfate) and O.T.C. Miconazole Nitrate to be applied to the area once a day.  We'll try this for one month and see how Lola does. The vet does have one more thing up her sleeve if these meds don't help. Eye drops! She told me that there are these  eye drops used to treat canine dry eye that have been shown to help in itch relief. Unfortunately, I've forgotten the name of the drops. 

Good luck with Daisy. I hope she finds some relief.

Ask about Cytopoint

4 minutes ago, tbhounds said:

Ask about Cytopoint

I definitely will.  Have you used it successfully for chronic itchy-butt?  

Hold on...is this the same as CADI? Canine Atopic Dermatitis Immunotherapy?  Tried it twice. Helped some with skin but not with the anal itch.

Thanks, though.

Edited by LaFlaca
Had a thought! : )

49 minutes ago, tbhounds said:

Yup. This is what we’ve used before.  It gave Lola very short term, mild relief. Expense, too. 

On 6/23/2019 at 12:45 AM, greysmom said: