Hookworm

I am a new greyhound owner, Joey has been with us 3 weeks, tested positive for hookworm (which is very common I have noticed). He had his first treatment 1 week ago and today his diarrhea seems worse and he has no appetite, is this common? He has been eating chicken and rice with some kibble (same kibble that he had at the kennel). Just wondering if the treatment can make him feel like this?  Thanks in advance!!

Absolutely. Both the worms and the treatment can cause tummy troubles. Your vet can prescribe something  like Famotidine for that. You can also add a bit of plain yogurt to his food to soothe his stomach. Plain canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) can help with loose stool.  Try green tripe to tempt his appetite - https://www.petkind.com/tripett.  A good quality pre-probiotic given on a daily basis is always a good idea -  https://market.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/collections/prebiotics-and-probiotics

Good luck! Hookworm can be a challenge. Feel better, Joey. :kiss2

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Sej6182,  lots to read here on hookworm treatments and food/diarrhea issues folks are having. Note that it can take over a year to be rid of hookworms. Even if you get a clean fecal now and then. Then you can resume regular parasite control monthly.

This was from Jennifer NG, DVM, on the Greytalk Health and Medical page on Facebook. (Not related to Greytalk dot com at all).

I agree with Advantage Multi/moxidectin being one of the better options these days. I've also had success with doing longer courses of Panacur (5-7 days) and giving a dose of pyrantel (Strongid) on the last day of Panacur. I got that suggestion from a greyhound breeder, and it makes sense since Panacur and pyrantel work synergistically.

As to the question of why we're having more of a problem with hookworms in the last couple years, I think it's a combination of resistance with larval leak. Greyhound breeders in Florida are having problems even when following appropriate, standard deworming protocols and having to switch to different products.

Also on Facebook is this page: "Getting rid of parasites-help for greyhound owners".

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

We have this issue with Giant, our new FL hound. Apparently the kennels here are using a horse dewormer called Quest, which doesn't seem to be very effective anymore (and is not recommended due to the danger of overdosing dogs). We have the moxidectin from our new vet but I'm going to keep an eye on things as I have my doubts it'll improve the situation if they're this resistant.

Not to get you down, but it took me 18 months to get Lola hook free.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

4 hours ago, SmolAliens said:

We have this issue with Giant, our new FL hound. Apparently the kennels here are using a horse dewormer called Quest, which doesn't seem to be very effective anymore (and is not recommended due to the danger of overdosing dogs). We have the moxidectin from our new vet but I'm going to keep an eye on things as I have my doubts it'll improve the situation if they're this resistant.

The regular Quest (without the Plus) is just moxidectin, and it alone doesn't really do it for an active infection - I believe it's method of action is only effective against the larval leak, not live, adult worms. The protocols that seem to be working include a moxidectin (Advantage Multi or Coraxis) with some combo of Drontal Plus/Strongid/Panacur. Any new owner should definitely check out the facebook group and/or the larger hookworm thread on here.