Frontline Gold - any update from those using it?

I'm looking for a topical that will work for fleas and ticks.  We had to move last year and now have a massive flat yard with tons of fruit trees (at least 11 different varieties of orange trees), which has a lot of wildlife at night who brings in fleas and ticks.  The Seresto collar is ok for my little girl who is black, but it's not good enough for my party boy who is white and red - think pink skin.  The fleas just love him.  Right now I'm using Advantage Multi which came in their new adoptee bags, but it doesn't work against ticks.  I'm interested in Frontline Gold, saw a thread about it, but there haven't been any updates since 2017.  I'm hoping there may be more users with feedback by now.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I just can't wrap my head around that giving a dog a pill that puts bug poison in their veins is ever truly safe. After talking to Bowie's oncologist about it when she was going through chemo, I hate even using the topicals. 

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

3 hours ago, Hubcitypam said:

Probably the most innocuous stuff In the world is Adams Flea and tick spray.  It works  I've almost pickled some strays with it.

How frequently do you have to apply it? I think I had the water based version years and years ago when Carl was being eaten alive by fleas.

On 6/8/2019 at 3:27 AM, seeh2o said:

I just can't wrap my head around that giving a dog a pill that puts bug poison in their veins is ever truly safe. After talking to Bowie's oncologist about it when she was going through chemo, I hate even using the topicals. 

Heartworm preventative, dewormers, etc. We use all of those to protect our dogs. What makes Bravecto more dangerous than those?  At least with a pill you don't risk spreading a toxin to other people or pets in the household, the way you do with a topical. Capstar, the pill that kills fleas quickly, is considered safe enough for puppies and is used in veterinary hospitals to prevent incoming patients from bringing in hordes of fleas. Some dogs have had bad reactions to Bravecto. Around here, the problem med has been Heartgard Plus, which gave my dogs diarrhea (from the flavoring rather than the active ingredients), so even the "harmless" part of anything can cause a problem. This household has used Bravecto without a problem for several years now.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

personally i would call bayer and explain the situation. that seems pretty strange, but something about the chemistry of your male is attracting flea, maybe? sorta like some people are eaten alive by mosquitos and some rarely get a bite. with mosquitos vitamin b complex seems to help. i wouldn't fool around with extra vitamins until you research this with bayer(they are most helpful). are they on any additives to their food? 

do you use an old fashioned flea comb and then wait and watch? or prior to using the collar did you give him a bath in the original dawn dish detergent? let it stand on the pup for up to 10 min. all the fleas depart and as you know dawn is non-toxic.i keep a small bottle around just incase one of the dogs gets into something that needs to be removed ASAP. it cuts thru just about anything.

a couple of years ago my pups, especially my male picked up some big juicy fleas in san antonio. OMG! crazy, intense case of hitch hikers. for days i combed thru their coats and pick out dying fleas- and i used frontline plus. it worked but took time. my whippet had an adverse reaction to the Seresto collar and i use fl+ every 3 weeks. it's doing the job.

as to heart worm med i use straight ivomec, much more economical. dd in san antonio ends up using a combo of products on her 2 dogs when the fleas are really bad. she also treats the yard and house if necessary. DE which cuts the hard shell of the flea might be helpful. https://www.thebugsquad.com/fleas/diatomaceous-earth-fleas/ if you are interested do more research, this is a good intro.

good luck! a vacuum a ton- put part of an flea collar in your  vacuum cleaner bag.

Cleptogrey, he is now being eaten alive by mosquitoes. The Advantage Multi seems to have kicked in for the fleas. He came in Saturday night and his mosquito bites had mosquito bites. I had to give him Benadryl so he wouldn't scratch his fur off overnight. So now I need something with a mosquito repellent, too. He needs a BIG bubble <sigh>

glad the advantage multi is kicking in. it must be the odor /chemistry of his body. i wonder if old fashioned brewer's yeast powder or tablets can help. brewer's yeast what one of those products that old fashioned breeders swore by.  or possibly another source of protein in his food or is he getting a supplement that might be affecting his chemistry?  i wish i still had my old bible of holistic resources for dogs published in the 70s. i think it was the herbal book for dogs, i bet you there was a remedy listed there. 

of course i found it on amazon! https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Herbal-Book-Dog-Handbook/dp/0668026499

but i think you can probably find some good answers on the internet. good luck! 

30 minutes ago, SmolAliens said:

Our vet gave us a sample of Nexgard to try once Giant's due again since he got his flea/tick/worm stuff a day before we got him. Also Heartgard for heartworm. Anyone have success with these or should we look into switching to Bravecto?

We use Nexgard and Heartgard with excellent results and no side effects. I do give them seven days apart. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.