Jump to content
SmolAliens

Am I missing anything?

Recommended Posts

Giant arrives to our place on Friday. I've spent the last few days picking up all of his supplies.

He will come with his leash/collar, muzzle, and all necessary documents/records along with the remaining medication he takes.

We have picked up:
Crate w/mat and small water bowl

Foam bed

Bowls

Food 

Poop bags/dispenser

Travel water dispenser

Nail clippers

Several toys (will be grabbing a KONG as well)

Rubber brush

Baby wipes

I know we also need to pick up a raincoat (because Florida) and possibly boots. Is there anything else I should have in the house before he gets here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't worry about getting a raincoat right away. Mine have all hated wearing a coat of any kind, (with the exception of Houndtime flannel ones since there's very little static with them).

If you only have hot sidewalks or pavement to walk on then boots could help.

Mostly I wouldn't rush in to any activity and outings to pet stores or even parks. Give Giant a chance to chill out. Walks for pottying only if you don't have a fenced yard. Slightly longer or more frequent short walks to expend energy.

Have your adoption group show you the proper fit on his martingale collar. Have a tag collar for him at all times, one without the D ring since sometimes folks try to clip the leash to it by mistake.


 

Charlie the iggy, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella)
Angels: Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd not spend on a raincoat (I'm in Florida, too) or boots. Take that cash and buy a cooling coat (because Florida ;)).  Maybe pick up a bottle of shampoo. In my experience, they come home pretty ripe from the kennel. Don't buy too much stuff at first. Wait until the Big Guy settles in. Get to know his personality, likes and dislikes then you can better gauge what would suit him best.

Oh, very important....treats!  High value treats for training and bonding with your beautiful boy are a must.  

Congrats and enjoy Giant! 


Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ D.O.B. 04/29/15)

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you!
What kind of treats do you recommend? I was going to hold off until tomorrow but I realize now I should probably pick some up to use when he meets the cats. 

We had massive storms in Orlando last night so the raincoat idea came up. Cooling coat sounds like a better idea now that you mention it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SmolAliens said:

Thank you!
What kind of treats do you recommend? I was going to hold off until tomorrow but I realize now I should probably pick some up to use when he meets the cats. 

We had massive storms in Orlando last night so the raincoat idea came up. Cooling coat sounds like a better idea now that you mention it!

You're welcome! :)

For training purposes, nothing beats cut up hot dogs or small bits of boiled or roasted chicken. Every time he potties in the right place have a celebration! Praise lavishly and treat. Treat when the cats are present. Kitties = Good stuff to eat.

Just for fun treats are basically anything you want and he'll eat..doggy biscuits, jerky bites, etc. My Lola loves Milk Bones and will turn up her needle-nose at high-class, organic, fancy treats. Go figure.  :dunno


Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ D.O.B. 04/29/15)

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LaFlaca said:

You're welcome! :)

For training purposes, nothing beats cut up hot dogs or small bits of boiled or roasted chicken. Every time he potties in the right place have a celebration! Praise lavishly and treat. Treat when the cats are present. Kitties = Good stuff to eat.

Just for fun treats are basically anything you want and he'll eat..doggy biscuits, jerky bites, etc. My Lola loves Milk Bones and will turn up her needle-nose at high-class, organic, fancy treats. Go figure.  :dunno

Definitely going to pick up Milk Bones. Luckily I have an Instant Pot so plain chicken is really easy for me to whip up too. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't be surprised if he ignores his toys to start with. It took Grace a couple of months to start playing with hers and then only stuffies that squeaked. 

I break milk and gravy bones in two as Grace always seems to think treats come in pairs, I don't know where she got that idea from :dunno

Two things missing off your list are time and patience. Don't expect too much for the first few days, give him space and time to adjust into the alien world he's been dropped into. Don't make to much a fuss of him and let him come to you.


44136119154_7d872bda6c_m.jpg

This IS my happy face!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

Don't be surprised if he ignores his toys to start with. It took Grace a couple of months to start playing with hers and then only stuffies that squeaked. 

I break milk and gravy bones in two as Grace always seems to think treats come in pairs, I don't know where she got that idea from :dunno

Two things missing off your list are time and patience. Don't expect too much for the first few days, give him space and time to adjust into the alien world he's been dropped into. Don't make to much a fuss of him and let him come to you.

Thank you for the kind advice :)

I spent about two hours with him at the meet and greet and he is very chill, but I'm sure the adjustment to the new home will be a bit stressful for him. Luckily our cats will not be totally new to him, as his foster mom has 3. We will be spending the whole weekend with him and doing a little bit of separation training tomorrow/Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ditto on the raincoat. 

None of my greys were big on toys so don't overthink that...and in general don't overthink everything.  They are wonderful good natured dogs but they are dogs not princes.

FWIW my suggestion is seconding Heyrundog. to bring him home and go about your business as usual.  If you smother him it will stress him out.

Alpo snaps have always been the best received treats here.  For training dry cat treats are the best.

Edited by Hubcitypam

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Works for us--we are pretty set in our routines over here so we're hoping he figures it out over time.

Good to know on the cat treats. I guess I'll have to hit up Costco soon for those...I clicker-train my eldest cat as he's very responsive to it (and it's great mental stimulation). Maybe someday I can get the two of them to learn together :)

Edited by SmolAliens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...