Oh, Bella

I'm feeling like Bella is channelling just a little of Bill. Not sure exactly where this fits - a little H&M, a little F&D, a little C&F, a little EEG, a little SB.

I called the vets office this morning because Bella got the big D last night in her crate. At 330 am. Keep in mind we have been dealing with gastrointestinal issues since March and she was diagnosed with pancreatitis. She's also 14.

Me: Hi, I'm calling to let you know Bella has diarrhea again, what should I do?

VO: Withhold breakfast, then you can give her the Hill's I/d tonight.

Me: She won't eat the Hill's I/d or the Royal Canin gastrointestinal, dry or canned. She won't eat chicken. She'll only eat hamburger and rice.

VO: (Pause) The hamburger is probably too rich, can you try chicken?

Me: I rinse all of the fat off after cooking, chill it, and rinse it again before feeding. Dr. C said that was ok.

VO: Well, if she gets hungry enough she will eat the kibble or canned.

Me: No, this is what we went through a couple of weeks ago. She won't eat, she just drinks more water and then pees in the house.

VO: Oh. Well, try and get her through the weekend and call us on Tuesday if she still has diarrhea.

Me: ok, thanks!

Tonight - Bella ate some Hill's i/d dry.

:rolleyes:

I swear every time I give the vet info, Bella does the opposite. :lol:

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Apparently you opened the bag from the right this time so it was okay to eat.  :lol 

Bill:beatheart  

Bella:beatheart

Our visitor Bella (almost 12) has been picking and choosing her food as well.  Tonight the second try worked and consisted of elbow macaroni cooked in chicken stock and some Evenger's Canned chicken Dog Food which has to be served at room temperature, not cold.   Glad she's not picky....:rotfl

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

1 hour ago, Time4ANap said:

Apparently you opened the bag from the right this time so it was okay to eat.  :lol 

Exactly :lol:

But she refused the rice tonight. Which is fine - I don't love the idea of the Hill's but I'll go with it if it works. It sure is easier than the rice, because if I didn't cook the rice exactly right and have it the correct temperature, she would pick at it.

1 hour ago, sarabz said:

Exactly :lol:

But she refused the rice tonight. Which is fine - I don't love the idea of the Hill's but I'll go with it if it works. It sure is easier than the rice, because if I didn't cook the rice exactly right and have it the correct temperature, she would pick at it.

I've found that the seniors really like elbow macaroni that's overcooked a little.  I just cook a box in half water and half chicken stock and leave it in a container in the refrigerator. I use that in place of rice.  20 seconds in the microwave warms it enough to mix with  canned food. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Picky old lady Lila checking in!

I’m lucky that she will reliably eat chicken and egg noodles, heated, with broth, and yogurt, and pumpkin, and parmesan cheese. :rolleyes: Most days she’ll also eat a cup of Purina Bright Mind Small Breed kibble, dry, in a pile on the floor. Every couple days I give her that kibble mixed with a tray of Cesar wet food which she gobbles up, but not every day.

She’s 12 ¾ and I’m grateful that she’s healthy and happy and doing great on this regiment. I just wish I didn’t have to spend so much time preparing her meals.

Smooches to Bella and all the other seniors with discriminating tastes. :kiss2

Edited by Jerilyn
Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

What has she eaten today?  

Time to rechristen her Billa.

:rofl    (Sarabz -- laughing with you, not at you)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Billa :rotfl

For the last 4 meals she has deigned to eat a small scoop of kibble with a sprinkling of warm (not hot, not cold) rinsed cooked ground beef, mixed with a generous spoonful of pumpkin. But it might change tonight. :)

Me: Bella, you didn't eat your breakfast this morning.

Bella: you didn't make it rite, momma. There wasn't enough beef and it wasn't the rite temperature.

Me: ok, let me adjust it

Bella: no, thanks, I'm not hungry now

Two hours later -

Me: Bella, why are you wandering around? What are you looking for?

Bella: the breakfast you refused to give me.

Me: oh, really? Ok, you can have it now.

Bella: uh, no, I just wanted to make sure you know that I get what I want when I want it. I didn't actually want to EAT it. 

Me: oh.

Dinnertime...or about 45 minutes before.

Bella: Mom, mom, mom, mom!

Me: what's up Bella? It's not dinnertime and you just went out.

Bella: I NO it's dinnertime. It HAS to be because I'm STARVING. 

Me: Because you didn't finish your breakfast.

Bella: I don't know what you are talking about.

Me: Mm-hmmm.

A short time later -

Me: Bella, come have your din-....

Bella: *burp* That was yummy, thanks Mom. Can I have more?

Hey Bella, Picky Lila here!  I admire your skills!

Do you know about shakey cheese? It makes just about anything they try to give you much yummier. It's worth holding out for!

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

https://www.amazon.com/Rx-Vitamins-Clay-Pets-Powder/dp/B008F7M4KY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=clay+for+dogs&qid=1559144555&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

this stuff will become YOUR best friend. felix was on and off runs and he was eating rice and chicken and toast. it's old age- some days he ate like a horse, some days jamie ate like a horse since he got to felix's food which was ignored. the clay became a standard part of his diet and it is worth every penny.  old people are just like old dogs when it comes to eating. my 94 year old mom and bella are on the same diet- eh, good, eh, good, tastes like wood, oh, it's scrumptious.

oh, 11pm felix would start barking every single night- he wanted his toast! give me a break- and yes he got it! 6 slices every night before bed.

Edited by cleptogrey

19 minutes ago, cleptogrey said:

https://www.amazon.com/Rx-Vitamins-Clay-Pets-Powder/dp/B008F7M4KY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=clay+for+dogs&qid=1559144555&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

this stuff will become YOUR best friend. felix was on and off runs and he was eating rice and chicken and toast. it's old age- some days he ate like a horse, some days jamie ate like a horse since he got to felix's food which was ignored. the clay became a standard part of his diet and it is worth every penny.  old people are just like old dogs when it comes to eating. my 94 year old mom and bella are on the same diet- eh, good, eh, good, tastes like wood, oh, it's scrumptious.

oh, 11pm felix would start barking every single night- he wanted his toast! give me a break- and yes he got it! 6 slices every night before bed.

Conner has been getting this clay added to his food for a couple of years, probably since he turned 12. It is so helpful, and has no flavor, so they don’t even know it is there!

10 hours ago, Jerilyn said:

Hey Bella, Picky Lila here!  I admire your skills!

Do you know about shakey cheese? It makes just about anything they try to give you much yummier. It's worth holding out for!

She does, she can't have it anymore :(

On 5/26/2019 at 12:10 AM, Remolacha said:

My picky seniors have always liked runny oatmeal. I mix it with goats milk.

Su loves runny oatmeal, preferably made with butter or olive oil. Actually, she had that tonight.

sarabz, you have my sympathies. Su's always been an on again/off again eater. With age she is downright picky. Thankfully she doesn't have any health issues that mean dietary restrictions.

I've got it!! She and my (hooman) 5 year old just need the same plates - the ones with lots of different sections so the different foods don't touch. :rolleyes:

https://www.amazon.com/Divided-Toddler-Children-Silicone-Salbree/dp/B075FZYMRZ

If I mix them all together, she won't eat the same things that she'll eat if they are all separated in the bowl. :lol:

Love it! 

I put her back on pepcid and that is helping tremendously. Fingers crossed!

pecid and ask your vet about zofran , generic is ondansetron. we kept felix on both for a good period of time. it really helped with his appetite. when they are old it's quality of life and this seemed to work. jamie was just on doxy for 6 weeks. the zofran/pecid combo really helped. we rapidly observed a difference when he was off of it, joe thought the drugs were bogus....men!!!. 4mg for a gh, pecid is 20 mg, both twice a day. very cheap at vet, we also ordered it at a good price at vetapprovedrx.com  

Ondansetron, marketed under the brand name Zofran, is a medication used to prevent nausea and vomiting caused by cancer chemotherapy, radiation therapy, or surgery.[1] It is also useful in gastroenteritis.[2][3] It has little effect on vomiting caused by motion sickness.[4] It can be given by mouth, or by injection into a muscle or into a vein

she won't eat the same things that she'll eat if they are all separated in the bowl

get outta here :lol

check out that silicon divided bowl in your link -- made for Billa Bella!

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter