The Grapehound Wine Tour® July 25-28, 2019

countrypaws

The fourteenth annual Grapehound Wine Tour® kicks off on Tuesday, July 23 for those who wish to start their wine tasting early.  We call them Early Birds.

We have thirty-four wineries, five brew pubs and one gorgeous distillery signed up to participate with us this July.  

The event kicks off on Thursday, July 25th at Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards with a Welcome party from 5PM to 8PM.  WE serve the hors d'oeuvres, hazitt has the wines (and do they!), and a food truck (the Little Red Wagon) will be serving tasty wraps and other foods for dinner.

Friday (July 26) the festivities move to the main venue at Catharine Valley Winery where they have a beautiful view of 400 foot deep Seneca lake from the hill of Seneca Lake, along with a cool summer breeze.  There we will have all our greyhound vendors in a big vendor tent sellings coats, beds, collars, leashes, T-shirts, dog treats ... well let's just say "...and a lot more!"  We'll also have a big social tent where you can hang out with like-minded greyhound people and sip a glass of wine from your lawn chair.  Hang out for an hour or an afternoon.  Seneca Lake isn't going anywhere.

On Saturday (July 27) at Catharine Valley Winery we'll continue our festivities with our Blessing of the Hounds at 2PM, then our greyhound ice cream social at 3PM with free ice cream for the people and free vanilla frozen yogurt for the hounds.  At 4PM we will close out all the tremendous values in our Silent Auction.

On Sunday (7/28) the fun continues at 10AM with our easy one-mile walk to the tallest waterfall in the Northeast, 215 ft. Taughannock Falls.  People love to have their portrait taken with their hounds in front of the falling water.  At 11AM folks may congregate at Fulkerson Winery which always volunteers to be our Sunday send-off winery.  Or you can continue by touring around the lake at wineries of your choice until you have to head back home to the real world.  (Ugh!)

The Grapehound Wine Tour® is an event where you set the pace or set no pace, it's up to you and your hounds.  Tour the lake or hang out with us at Catharine Valley.  Go to twenty wineries or to six.  We don't care!  You could not visit all the wineries in a weekend if you tried!  Make it your weekend, at your pace!    Bring the husband or leave him at home, get some girlfriends and hang out with us! 

There are still plenty of rooms available, including cabins and hotel rooms within the area.   The great hotels in Ithaca are a greyt option this year because Catharine Valley  winery is closer to them than any other group of great dog-friendly, pet-fee waiving hotels!  Plus they are next door to a huge Wegmans and a Walmart for all your travel needs.  They are all listed on our Hotels page at https://www.grapehounds.org/hotels--ny-.html

Whoever you bring, dogs or humans, we are glad to see you and hope to show you and your greyhounds a greyt time.  You can keep up with all the plans for this year's event at www.grapehounds.org or on our Grapehound Wine Tour® facebook page. And you can enjoy your weekend knowing that all the money we earn for the event wil be donated (after expenses) to area greyhound adoption groups and to the Humane Society of Schuyler County.

We hope we see you at Seneca Lake this summer!

(Jeff and Trudy:  Come back to NY and see us for Grapehounds!  We miss you guys!  Come back to New York!)

Edited by countrypaws

We can't wait! Already have our lodging, just bought our Grapehounds tickets!

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

• 4 weeks later...

Hey man!  Far out!

We have our new 2019 Grapehound Wine Tour® custom shirt available online.  The theme of this year's event is a commemoration of the 50th annversary of Woodstock.  The shirt was designed by greyhound artist and caricaturist Kent Roberts.  The design shows a greyhound wearing a garland of flowers driving a VW mini-bus decorated with hearys and flowers.  He is accompanied by a way cool bunny flashing the peace sign and another greyhound standing next to the minibus wearing bell bottoms and playing the guitar.  The design is printed on a lavender shirt in universal or ladies cut styles.   

Peace, man!

We are custom ordering shirts for everyone who wants one for the next couple weeks, so by ordering now you can get the size, style and printing you want.  Once our order is placed in early July, we'll only have various left-over sizes available and you can't be assured we'll have your size and style unless you order in advance.  We won't be printing this shirt again so this is a one-time opportunity.

Get more details here    https://shop.grapehounds.com/products/see-no-evil-ladies-cut-gildan-t-shirtin-lavender-small-only

or see the image below for a first glance...

Finalproof2019-2-small.gif.6fb7851bbcc7f0938492ad4976450e03.gif

Edited by countrypaws

• 5 weeks later...

Larry, when will the ebooklet be coming out?  I always look forward to it.  Are there any new wineries or breweries this year?  I have some friends coming who are first time Grapehounds/Finger Lakes visitors, and I'm so excited about showing them around.

And we love the T-shirts!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

The booklet was emailed July 17 last year, if that's of any help. I went and looked earlier today because I was getting excited 😁

There was an email yesterday saying that the booklet should be out on Thursday or Friday.

If anybody is gathering for dinner early in the week, I may try to join. I'm in Syracuse for work until next Friday am. But am wrapping up much of my stuff this week so I'm just here for final bits next week and not working 13 hours a day and can go be social :)

54 minutes ago, Trudy said:

If anybody is gathering for dinner early in the week, I may try to join. I'm in Syracuse for work until next Friday am. But am wrapping up much of my stuff this week so I'm just here for final bits next week and not working 13 hours a day and can go be social :)

:omg I'm not getting there until Thursday. You should come to the welcome event in the evening!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

22 minutes ago, NeylasMom said:

:omg I'm not getting there until Thursday. You should come to the welcome event in the evening!

The project I'm doing is bringing us to dinner on Thursday - otherwise that was my plan was to go out Thursday night.

2 hours ago, Trudy said:

The project I'm doing is bringing us to dinner on Thursday - otherwise that was my plan was to go out Thursday night.

Boo. 

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Oops, sorry I am just seeing some of the questions here.  The E-booklet will go out tomorrow, Friday, July 19th.  Just a lot of loose ends to check with wineries, and they are so busy this time of year they don't always get back to you when you call or email them.

One thing we're trying to do differently this year is to list all the wineries or brew pubs that have entertainment on an evening so that everyone has some evening options which they can find all in one place.  So on Friday on our calendar, for example, we'll list all the places we have found which welcome the dogs and offer music.

Another thing to mention is that Kent Roberts will be with us this year!  He'll be signing shirts for people from 11AM-12PM on Friday morning in the social tent at Catharine Valley Winery, our host this year.

As Tricia indicates, temperatures will moderate in new York after our mini-heat wave this weekend.  Temps are predicted to run from 78 degrees on Tuesday to about 81-82 degrees the rest of the week.  Mostly sunny all week with 40% chance of showers on Thursday.  Usually the temps for our event are much cooler in NY than in the mid-Atlantic area (PA, NJ, Maryland) where we live.  I know it was hot yesterday when I drove to Baltimore to pick up our wine glasses!

Trudy, I hope you'll stop down and look us up.  That's so cool that you're in Syracuse during the event.   There's a gathering at Rasta Ranch Winery on Wednesday evening with music and food.   That's the popular hippie-60's winery.  The main event will be at Catharine Valley Winery (4201 St NY St Rt 414  Burdett, NY) on Friday and Saturday, July 26-27.  The main host winery (with vendor and social tents) is four miles north of Walmart in Watkins Glen.  It's also a straight shot south on Rt 414 off the NY thruway at Seneca Falls.

We do have some Woodstock shirts left over if some folks didn't order one but would like one for Kent to sign.  Can't think of anything else  right now, so look for the booklet tomorrow.  I'd better get back to editing right now!

Larry

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

omg I <3 her so much!!

If anyone needs a place to stay, I just canceled my 2 bedroom cabin at Seneca Lodge. I didn't realize I had both a 1 bedroom and a 2 bedroom so since it's just me, I canceled the 2 bedroom. It's 2 queen beds in separate rooms, plus a living area and a bathroom, and AC. $100/nt weekdays and $110/my weekends. Grab it while you can!