New house with neighbors who don’t control their dogs

We’ve recently moved from an apartment in the city to a house in a more rural area. I’m used to limited space and leash laws, so is my greyhound Max. Our neighbors have three dogs and lately they’ve taken to letting them wander in the front yard, and whenever they see my dog they come running for us, until I yell and stomp and throw things to get them off my property. Not ideal. My boy is not good with non-greyhounds and would fight or bite a dog who ran up to him while he’s on leash. I’ve told the neighbor that he is not friendly to other dogs, but he doesn’t seem to care about his dogs possibly getting hurt.

We are saving money to get our property lines drawn up and completely fence the place, but any suggestions as to what we can do in the meantime would be so appreciated! 

Loving life with my first greyhound Max (4 year old dark brindle boy)! :wub:

Check out our hiking blog! www.greythikes.blogspot.com

Welcome to rural America. People like your neighbors think that it is A-OK to let their dogs run wild and they really don't care whether they hurt or damage other peoples animals and property. In fact they don't even care about the welfare of their own dogs-obviously.  You are out of luck in my opinion and sadly your leashed and legal dog will always be in jeopardy when you take him out.  In most rural areas like mine there is no enforcement of animal laws. Hence such people think that dog laws-even state ones- don't apply to them since they live where they do. They will despise you and yours because you are a law abiding owner that keeps their dog under control. And BTW- it is highly unlikely your neighbors dogs have current vaccinations or vet care of any kind. As I said, and you have already noticed, they really don't care about the welfare of their own dogs much less anybody elses. Been there. Done that. Nothing you can do but take a club at least so you can protect your boy when you take him out. It is one of my pet peeves people who are like that. I cannot use my own property because neighbors on both sides of me let their big ill kept aggressive dogs run loose all over creation as well.  I can't even leave a training aid or toy out or their dogs will steal it off my property! I take a gun and knife with me when I take my hound and mal outside my yard fence for a walk.  Its a shame you can't take a walk on your own property without being accousted but it is what it is. If they attack I will defend my dogs. And BTW the physical injuries are often the least damage from an attack.  Many dogs become dog aggressive themselves once they have been attacked so it literally ruins their life in a lot of ways. No more can you take them out and about to socialize and enjoy because you will constantly have to be on guard that your own victimized and now dog aggressive dog doesn't attack yet another one. Dog attacks can be terribly destructive psychologically and physically and to see people like yours and mines ignorant selfish neighbors that just don't give a care disgusts me. Good luck.

Yikes. Thank you for your take on this, at least I’m not the only one going through this issue. We are putting up some temporary fencing ASAP. 

Loving life with my first greyhound Max (4 year old dark brindle boy)! :wub:

Check out our hiking blog! www.greythikes.blogspot.com

I agree, living in the rural parts of our country has a lot of benefits, but people with unruly animals ruin it.  Our neighbor who let his dogs roam free has lost his dogs - they just disappeared - I have no idea what may have happened to them.  Can't say I'm upset cause they used to chase my car and bark at me.  Our other neighbor - who lives about 1/2 mile away - has actually told us that Missouri is a free range state and he does not have to keep his cattle fenced in.  They come down the road and into our front yard all the time.  You cannot educate stupid people, especially those who are lazy and stupid.

18 hours ago, inaandmax said:

more rural area

It depends a bit on how rural you are, too. Wouldn't be a bad idea to contact your non-emergency police line, or animal control, if your neighbor dogs are consistently unsupervised and running around willy nilly through yards. If nothing else, that starts a paper trail of the issues, so that if something ever did happen at least it would be documented that those dogs were a problem. If you have a Ring or Nest (or similar) doorbell camera any footage from that would be helpful to save somewhere too.

the police have better things to do than come after stray dog. we have encountered this in cities, suburban area, you name it. mace- eh, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. if you are on your property- a hose if you can get to it in time- hose them down. walking with a bat or stick- i am sure there were posts years ago about protection while walking. jeff would know what section it was in.

we encountered lots of stray dogs literally on the other side of the railroad tracks in san antonio. our 20 min. walk back from tacos took over an hour since all the dogs must have been out doing their afternoon runs. yup, we drove to tacos after that!

if it's not dogs, it's cats, if it's not cats be thankful it's not  mt. lions or bears or coyotes!