Possible back/spine surgery for 9.5 yo hound?

I'm so glad you posted an update.  I was going to warn you that in my experience, neurosurgeons are often too eager to jump in to do surgery (Okay it was one neurosurgeon).  He wanted surgery, I decided to work with drugs, Chinese medicine and acupuncture and the spinal problem disappeared (and I still had some money left in my savings.). Hope you have something similar happen.

Edited by Scoutsmom

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Pupdate?

Hi! Thanks for asking. I’ve been meaning to stop in and give a pup-date. My Brin is doing so well! It’s rather amazing to tell you the truth. She is running and doing zoomies with her 5 yr old greyhound sister. And correcting the younger one when she gets too sassy. She doesn’t have much stamina yet, as in a walk of about 15 minutes is enough for her, but the transformation is unbelievable. I’d forgotten how energetic she was back in the day as I think her decline was slow and insidious and I attributed it to age, not a correctable problem, until she began limping badly. Interestingly, I have an 11 yr old terrier mix (who is having leg and hip X-rays tomorrow) who we tried on gabapentin with absolutely no effect. The only thing I’m still fine-tuning is Brin’s dose. She is 65 lbs and 300mg morning and night seems to be the sweet spot - pain relief but not too much fatigue. Although it might end up that 200mg am and 300mg pm will be best. They suggested every 8 hours but that just doesn’t work with my schedule. Again, thx for checking in! 😊

• 1 month later...