DIY collar help

So the new grey addition to our pack loves to chew on collars (because heaven forbid we use toys for there intended purpose) and my greys' collars have taken a lot of damage. Especially since my DH loves to just drop leashes and collars on the floor instead of hanging them up. Recently dusted off my sewing machine and decided to try my hand at making collars for myself to save money. I bought the hardware off Etsy and using my current martingale set to work making my own. The final product turned out fairly good even though I only have a low end Singer sewing machine. But as I make more collars i keep running into the same issue. I can't seem to get the type of sturdiness/feel as the ones I've purchased in the past. I've experimented with different 'base' material but the collar keeps ending up too flimsy or too bulking making adjustment difficult (which is a huge pain since loosening and tightening them is sort of a requirement pre and post walk). I've tried different interfacing and webbing (it's all been guess work because even when I took apart one collar I couldn't figure out specifically what material was used inside and as a backing) and I can't replicate a similar end product as the one's I've purchased from sellers at conventions or on Etsy.

If any other DIYers can give me some tips on what materials they use to make collars and where to buy them, if it's a store other than Jo-anns/Hobby lobby I greatly appreciate it

Cheers

Have you tried craft fusion? That is what I use. It irons onto the fabric. It is sold with the other interfacings. I ordered a collar making kit years ago and that is what the instructions said to use. 

Creative Designworks is where I buy my hardware. She is online. She is the person I bought my kit from several years ago. 

Edited by PattyE

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

Ditto to 'Creative Designworks' for hardware and webbing.

And I use a medium iron-on interfacing from the fabric store.

Have fun... it can be addictive...

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos).   Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKMwinter.jpg

Craft Fuse is what I use. I just saw it at Hobby Lobby. 

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

• 2 weeks later...

kudos to you for venturing out on making your own collars, but are you aware that Lupine collars and leashes are guaranteed and free replacements even if chewed? you might consider investing in a couple of their martingales and leads while you perfect your new product. LUPINE.NET