Lucky Black Cat

Last night at 1:34 I was awakened by ferocious barking. Milo had gone out the dog door and cornered something on the open back porch. The dog door is in a slider at the side of the porch; the now trapped animal had ducked into a bunch of gardening tools by the side of the people door which is in a "dead end" arm of the porch. Notes: 1) I am using a rolling walker to stay steady nowdays. 2) If I open the people door, it might frighten the animal to make a run for it, right into the Jaws of Death. 3) Jeter is not joining in the fray, but might change his mind. So I get dog treats and try to lure the furiously barking Milo back in through the dog door. By some miracle he comes in, but sniffs the treats and decides they are not high value enough, and dashes back through the dog door before I can grab his house collar. Cue the barking again. I go get cheese, call Milo through the dog door, and in a second miracle he comes again. Much praise, cheese, and I grab his collar. I lock the dog door while holding onto both Milo and the walker. And dealing with Jeter, who wants his share of the good stuff.

Once the dogs are secure, I try to see the animal. It looks up at me through the glass storm people door -- it is a long-haired black cat. Is Milo slipping in his older age? Usually he grabs a critter by the back of the neck, shakes it, and breaks its neck. He has several groundhogs, coons, and a skunk on his hit list -- good-sized animals with defensive skills. I can't believe he didn't go in for the kill on the cat. Maybe being partially sheltered by lawn tools helped the cat?

This morning the cat was gone (thank you Jesus).

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

:chow

Hopefully that kitteh has figured out he needs to avoid your porch!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I'm glad both cat and Milo are okay. I hope the kitty learned a lesson about which porch to avoid.

Aside: I had to chuckle about "sniffs the treats and decides they are not high value enough." Mercenary devil. It's an even bigger wonder that he returned for your second offering. Good boy Milo.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

What is your cat's name?

:lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.