Allergen Testing And Next Steps

Good Evening,

As some of you may already be aware, we have been struggling with "picky" eating habits with our 5-year old hound. After much testing, and trial and error our vet opted to complete a Food Allergen Panel to determine what allergies our guy might have. The test results were as follows:

• Milk +++ (Very High Allergy Indicated)
  • Beet Pulp +++
  • Other Noted + Allergens were: Pinto Beans, Potato (White), Flaxseed, Rice, Fish Mix, Turkey, Venison, Soybean, Oats, Kangaroo, Rabbit
  • Borderline potential to have a future allergic tendency were noted to be Duck and Chicken (recommended that we avoid these two proteins)

Note this was done via IDEXX Lab Allergen Panel Test (Food): Canine

Nonetheless, we will be making some DRASTIC diet changes (no more cottage cheese - or any cheese, no more Fish Oil, etc.). but my husband and I are now at a loss of what we can feed him to be sure he feels good, and gets a good amount of nutrients. Any thoughts?

Thank you!!

Edited by GreyhoundGuru87

OWNER OF "KEEPER INTREPID" & "WIND AS WITNESS"

Looks like you're down to a food with beef as the limited ingredient. You're going to be closely reading all the labels as well to make sure it doesn't have any of the other off limits ingredients either.

Given that he also can't have beans you definitely should stay away from any "boutique" grain free foods due to the risk of heart trouble (from diet related DCM - see the thread on this here too).

If you find a food with/without the right ingredients you still may need to supplement with taurine.

I would try and locate a canine nutritionist to help guide me though this confusing labyrinth!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Oy. You don't have much to work with.

You might find a lamb-based food, but most have rice or oatmeal or both. Acana Lamb + Apple doesn't have either, but it's a "boutique" food like the ones greysmom mentioned, and I share her concern.

I hope you can find a food that works.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

As much as I dislike them look at the Merrick foods. They are the king of beef foods...but I think their lamb one might work. My second cup of coffee hasn't kicked in yet :blush:

Garth Merrick built his empire selling Beef n' More to Wal Mart by the trainload in 50 pound bags. I disagree with his rendering plant and his 5 dead livestock removal service. many dogs have done well on Merrick.... whatever works.

Taurine is essential in cats but is only needed in a few dog breeds.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Please don't rely on blood or saliva tests for determining food allergies. They tend to give many false positives, which can complicate your life unduly.

Instead, work with your vet on conducting an elimination diet and rechallenge using a prescription hypoallergenic food. That is the only way to accurately identify food allergies in dogs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Taurine is essential in cats but is only needed in a few dog breeds.

This isn't quite correct. All dogs require taurine for good cardiac health, but most should not require supplementation of taurine so long as their diet is balanced and contains sufficient nutrients. When the diet is correct, dogs synthesize their own taurine from those nutrients.

Good Evening,

As some of you may already be aware, we have been struggling with "picky" eating habits with our 5-year old hound. After much testing, and trial and error our vet opted to complete a Food Allergen Panel to determine what allergies our guy might have. The test results were as follows:

• Milk +++ (Very High Allergy Indicated)
  • Beet Pulp +++
  • Other Noted + Allergens were: Pinto Beans, Potato (White), Flaxseed, Rice, Fish Mix, Turkey, Venison, Soybean, Oats, Kangaroo, Rabbit
  • Borderline potential to have a future allergic tendency were noted to be Duck and Chicken (recommended that we avoid these two proteins)

Note this was done via IDEXX Lab Allergen Panel Test (Food): Canine

Nonetheless, we will be making some DRASTIC diet changes (no more cottage cheese - or any cheese, no more Fish Oil, etc.). but my husband and I are now at a loss of what we can feed him to be sure he feels good, and gets a good amount of nutrients. Any thoughts?

Thank you!!

I'm hoping you've landed on the idea that you're looking at allergies based on something more than your dog being a picky eater? Loosing weight? Poor stool quality? Itching/skin issues?

If your vet hasn't found anything medical of concern, picky eating on it's own isn't necessarily something that needs to be fixed. We teach dogs to be picky eaters, just like we teach toddlers.

If you are seeing physical symptoms (beyond the questionable allergy test results), a hydrolyzed/prescription diet is probably going to be the best place to start in ruling out what is really causing the issues. Fortunately, there are many choices where you should not have to worry about DCM/taurine concerns.

Edited by Bizeebee

venison?pork- blue seal makes a pork based food obviously you will need to go online and read a ton of ingredients. at least he's not allergic to corn. from what i remember after speaking w/ some companies chicken fat which is used in many many foods is not processed the same way as chicken meal. i hate to say anything but science diet uses a ton of corn, check hills rx diets as well. NUTRO and Pairie have venison. Also look into EAGLE PAC, the original- good food. chewy carries it. good luck!

do ask if fish oil is processed the same way as fish meal.btw dogs digest protein meals very well. i know i had RAST testing(blood work looking for IGE) . I am allergic or sensitive to EVERYTHING TESTED! antihistamines seem to be the only way i can lead a ha-ha normal dietary life!

I'm hoping you've landed on the idea that you're looking at allergies based on something more than your dog being a picky eater? Loosing weight? Poor stool quality? Itching/skin issues?

If your vet hasn't found anything medical of concern, picky eating on it's own isn't necessarily something that needs to be fixed. We teach dogs to be picky eaters, just like we teach toddlers.

If you are seeing physical symptoms (beyond the questionable allergy test results), a hydrolyzed/prescription diet is probably going to be the best place to start in ruling out what is really causing the issues. Fortunately, there are many choices where you should not have to worry about DCM/taurine concerns.

Please don't rely on blood or saliva tests for determining food allergies. They tend to give many false positives, which can complicate your life unduly.

Instead, work with your vet on conducting an elimination diet and rechallenge using a prescription hypoallergenic food. That is the only way to accurately identify food allergies in dogs.

Thank you for everyone's thought, expertise and input. Yes, the allergy testing was a result of other symptoms outside of just picky eating (i.e. vomiting, refusal to eat anything for several meals, ear infection). We are currently doing an "elimination diet" and so far, have had good results. Turns out our hound is HIGHLY allergic to all milk and dairy products - his results were "off the charts." His stomach issues, coupled with the fact that he was getting some plain yogurt with his antibiotics appears to have really irritated his stomach lining. In addition, we found that after review of everything he eats, his glucosamine contained "dried cheese" in the ingredient listing (chewable supplement). We have switched his kibble, and we are going through the "transition" phase (a bit of loose stool) and he is doing MUCH better. He will be getting some stomach medication to help ease the stomach upset for a few days and then moving forward, we are going to use a limited ingredient diet and adjust what he eats. Hopefully this will be the end of a lengthy trial and error process for him.

Edited by GreyhoundGuru87

OWNER OF "KEEPER INTREPID" & "WIND AS WITNESS"

Thank you for everyone's thought, expertise and input. Yes, the allergy testing was a result of other symptoms outside of just picky eating (i.e. vomiting, refusal to eat anything for several meals, ear infection). We are currently doing an "elimination diet" and so far, have had good results. Turns out our hound is HIGHLY allergic to all milk and dairy products - his results were "off the charts." His stomach issues, coupled with the fact that he was getting some plain yogurt with his antibiotics appears to have really irritated his stomach lining. In addition, we found that after review of everything he eats, his glucosamine contained "dried cheese" in the ingredient listing (chewable supplement). We have switched his kibble, and we are going through the "transition" phase (a bit of loose stool) and he is doing MUCH better. He will be getting some stomach medication to help ease the stomach upset for a few days and then moving forward, we are going to use a limited ingredient diet and adjust what he eats. Hopefully this will be the end of a lengthy trial and error process for him.

Excellent to hear that he is improved already! :) And so fortunate that dairy seems to be the main culprit - of all the ingredients to try to avoid in food, that one should be relatively easy.

Once you're ready to choose a new permanent kibble, definitely check out the DCM thread on this forum as well - you're already deep in the dog food rabbit hole (I know it well), you might as well acquaint yourself with the resources over there as well.