Cant Get Handle On Stress Colitis - At A Loss

We're moving, and left the house a week ago. Oky, age 6 (stud rescue from mill,not fmr racer) hated the ride,but was fine.

We stayed with "daddy" at an Airbnb for a few days, before making 2nd half of trip (each was 550mi before detours) down to GA to spend break with my kids.

My littlest had stress ...poops. for about 24 hrs.

2 doses of pepto and fasted, she was right as rain fairly quickly.

Oly, he was fine until we got down here, where hes never been, cats normally live here but are relocated during visit (he's cat safe, the cats were born feral so still very skiddish)

I, or my mom, have not left his side.

He knows and loves the kids, and the other two dogs are with us (both ankle biters).

He has basically been peeing out of his bum since Thurs late PM, in the night.

He had a solid,normal poo shortly after arriving.

Hes miserable.

I fasted him 24 hrs, then introduced rice water (made w/bottled since water diff than ours of course). We switch their food up pretty often, as they all tolerate and dont care. (And to help prevent GI issues from new foods)

No allergies, hes been on leash since we left the house, as fence too escapeable. So hasn't gotten into junk outside and eaten.

I think my husband being there at half way (we've been living 500 mi apart since Dec while getting house ready for market) prevented this.

But it wont stop.

He is dehydrated, gaunt,he has ALWAYS been VERY thin, even foraged grey (vet is ok with weight, and been tested several times when we got him for gut parasites etc due to how thin he is. )

All ribs visible,spine all visible now.

We tried rice and just a few TBL.

15 min later it started back up again, so withheld food. He had little bits of the water thruought day (normally we have to tell him to stop,as hell start drinking a d ends up puking from chugging it)

He isnt a sick boy,but he's hungry gey,thirsty,and I'm sure his bum hurts.

Woke up today, and he had diarrhea all over last night

It's dark, and like slime n water.

3 mg Loperdine didnt help, and I'm kinda scared of it.

I'm 1100 miles away from any vet I know, and unsure which direction to go.

Fast him again? Or bland diet in small amounts?

I'd give him probiotics if had a CLUE where to get locally. Do pet store chains carry on shelf?? We dont allow dairy, so cant use yogurt. (Afraid would make worse, as his body wouldn't k now what to do.

Dont WANT to hunt down a vet idk or trust, to run a ton of unneeded tests.

Its stress.

(He also melted for 2 days, which kinda forms up the stress trigger)

Which way do I go? Hes hungry,thirsty, and I'm sure tired of his system kicking everything out.

He had a couple pees yestersay,very dark (cause dehydrated) .

I'm just at a loss. In 25 years I've never had a dog have this,for this long. (He is our first grey and been ours for 2 years )

Google is not helpful.

How do I help him?!?! Which way do we go? The rice yesterday just went right thru him, and even fasting hes still diarrhea (bile I'm sure).

(And MY stress is feeding HIS stress, as he is very tuned into me)

Other than getting lethargic cause hungry, he is himself, chasing the middle dog around,playful etc.

No vomitting.

And HAS appetite.

What do I do?

Thanks

First I wanted to say so sorry that you guys are going through this :(

It's hard to tell how long this has been going on, but if it's more than a couple of days, I think if it was me I'd be seeking out a vet nearby, maybe an emergency vet would be best in this situation (as far as not having to go through an unnecessary new-patient workup), who would start with fluids and focusing on getting him hydrated. Ultimately, no vet can make you run tests that you don't want, but it sounds like he may need some medical intervention for the dehydration. Rehydration treatment shouldn't require a greyhound specific vet, I wouldn't think, though maybe others would know more about that.

You could also call your old vet for an opinion. They might recommend getting certain tests, even if you have to use a new vet to do it.

As far as probiotics, we have had good luck with this one that we order on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LNQQ85Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And we like Olewo carrots (rehydrated with water) to help firm things up. Also from Amazon.

Have you ever used any drugs/supplements for stress before? If it is stress (and it sounds like it is) then reducing it is probably an important step. Sticking to a strict routine and maybe trying a pheromone diffuser or other remedy that you've used before or are comfortable with.

What town are you in now? Perhaps someone here can recommend a vet for you.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

This has been going on long enough that you need a vet. Probably an emergency vet at this point.

If there are greyhound adoption groups active in your new area, most will have a list of greyhound friendly and knowledgeable vets on their websites. But really, he needs some general help and nothing really specific to the breed.

I would also fast him - until the diarrhea stops - though make sure he keeps drinking at least some water every hour. You can also use Pedialyte or broth. Then start up feeding again with a bland diet. I would stay away from rice as, as you have seen, it just goes right through without giving them any benefit. Try overcooked pasta or sweet potatoes or plain oat bran for the carb source. Use bland, non fat (or drained and rinsed) protein - ground chicken/turkey/beef.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Agree that he needs a vet to administer fluids at a minimum. Getting him re-hydrated will help alleviate some of the stress so some Pedialyte would also help.

Depending where you are, you might be able to get a probiotic delivered same day or next day via Amazon if a local store doesn't have what you want.

Rocket had stress colitis, and the only thing that really worked was Tylan which now requires a prescription - you can no longer buy it at a farm supply like you could in the past. It tastes terrible so you will need to put it in capsules to give it. I always just put a capsule in cheese or a pill pocket. The vet will need to calculate the dosing anyway. We always just filled the capsules by hand based on the dose prescribed by the vet.

In the short term, you could also try some Olewo Dehydrated carrots mixed into any bland diet you are feeding. I usually made them using 1 TBSP of carrots to about 5 ounces of boiling water so that they were a little thicker, and no oil.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

In the short term, you could also try some Olewo Dehydrated carrots mixed into any bland diet you are feeding. I usually made them using 1 TBSP of carrots to about 5 ounces of boiling water so that they were a little thicker, and no oil.

I've never used dehydrated carrots on our Greyhound before, but I've always been curious...what's the difference between REhydrating dehydrated carrots and just feeding freshly grated carrots? Edited by Zoomdoggie

Other than maybe concentrating the fiber a bit, I don't think there is much difference. Though they will keep much longer than fresh carrots. :dunno

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I've never used dehydrated carrots on our Greyhound before, but I've always been curious...what's the difference between REhydrating dehydrated carrots and just feeding freshly grated carrots?

As far as I can tell, being a Olewo carrot user, the dehydrated ones don't rehydrate into little slices of carrots, like what you would have if you grated them. They are broken down more, so when they are rehydrated they are a mash, not distinguishable as carrot pieces. I assume that makes them work a bit better as far as digestion and firming up the poop. For us, at least, pumpkin comes out just like it went in (and doesn't help much), whereas the carrots change the poop's color but are definitely more digested and it all comes out pretty homogeneous.

As far as I can tell, being a Olewo carrot user, the dehydrated ones don't rehydrate into little slices of carrots, like what you would have if you grated them. They are broken down more, so when they are rehydrated they are a mash, not distinguishable as carrot pieces. I assume that makes them work a bit better as far as digestion and firming up the poop. For us, at least, pumpkin comes out just like it went in (and doesn't help much), whereas the carrots change the poop's color but are definitely more digested and it all comes out pretty homogeneous.

Thank you, Bizeebee!👍