Domesticated Dogs And Diet

This is a great article (my opinion) on what has changed in a dog's genes corresponding to diet needs as it became domesticated. It also provides some neat graphs that identify how far certain breeds have moved from the genes of the wolf when it comes to "starches". This was posted in the Facebook DCM group - they have great scientific articles.

https://www.instituteofcaninebiology.org/blog/a-key-genetic-innovation-in-dogs-diet?fbclid=IwAR0gvT5TIv7Kjeu2M4GKTORKPw6uu3zmH6CkoUu_KFf_qckLAJzZk3g8wMo

Thank you so much for sharing this. I'm not on FB so it's much appreciated.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Great article. Thanks.

I do find that DCM group incredibly sad though. So many sick, dying, and dead dogs from a fad.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Great article. Thanks.

I do find that DCM group incredibly sad though. So many sick, dying, and dead dogs from a fad.

I agree that it is disheartening especially that so many of the people tried to do the best for their pets. What I do find encouraging is that there have been so many that have reversed the process by switching the dog's diets - it takes awhile but, they can get back to good health.

Thanks for sharing, really interesting (aside from the last paragraph where they make huge generalizations that seem to be inconsistent with the findings they just shared :lol).

A great next step would be to measure the amount of amylase produced and compare that to the number of genes in specific dogs. Without that information it's hard to know how well dogs digest starches, even those with greater numbers of that gene (though I'm not claiming that they don't).

Would also love to see something like this done for mixed breeds across the US.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

This is very interesting. In India, the dogs at the hospital where I volunteered ate a vegetarian diet and seemed to do very well. They ate starches like chick peas and lentils. I've been considering switching my dog to a veggie diet, as the research I've seen suggests that many of the problems found with vegetarian diets can also be found in meat diets.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

This is very interesting. In India, the dogs at the hospital where I volunteered ate a vegetarian diet and seemed to do very well. They ate starches like chick peas and lentils. I've been considering switching my dog to a veggie diet, as the research I've seen suggests that many of the problems found with vegetarian diets can also be found in meat diets.

I'm a vegan and while I would love to switch my dogs to a vegetarian diet - there is not enough known about the long term effects. If you are on Facebook, I suggest that you join the group Nutritional related DCM - it provides a great deal of information on the DCM cases and the grain-free foods many of which have novelty proteins and things like lentils or peas as a substitute for grains.

I'm a vegan and while I would love to switch my dogs to a vegetarian diet - there is not enough known about the long term effects. If you are on Facebook, I suggest that you join the group Nutritional related DCM - it provides a great deal of information on the DCM cases and the grain-free foods many of which have novelty proteins and things like lentils or peas as a substitute for grains.

Thanks. Have joined it and have spent the morning reading.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

There are veterinary diets that are vegetarian, so it is certainly possible for dogs to eat a vegetarian diet long term and be healthy. I wouldn't recommend feeding a homemade vegetarian diet though.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!