Small Pad Injury - To Walk Or Not To Walk?

Hi all,

I apologise for what seems like a very minor question, but I want to do the best by our girl.

When we were out walking yesterday, i noticed that she developed a slight, inconsistent limp. When I got home I also noticed small amounts of blood on the floor - there's a very small tear on one of her front paw pads. I cleaned it up as best I could and the bleeding stopped. She doesn't seem too concerned by it, no significant licking etc.

Having read through these forums, I'm inclined to try and keep the wound clean and let it heal on its own, given how minor it is (please let me know if I need to do more), but I was wondering about whether it was still okay to take her for short walks, assuming I can find a little dog bootie to keep that paw pad as clean as possible? She loves her walks and suspect we will all go crazy if we don't get the chance to go outside, but at the same time I don't want to be causing her a greater injury.

Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

She should be fine with a bootie for short walks. If you've got grass now then she can walk on that too. Just no explosive activity that might open up the wound. Put some Aole Vera leaf sap on it (make she she doesn't lick it).

She should be fine with a bootie for short walks. If you've got grass now then she can walk on that too. Just no explosive activity that might open up the wound. Put some Aole Vera leaf sap on it (make she she doesn't lick it).

Or you could tape an old sock over it and cover with a poo bag if it's wet. Put the tape on the sock not on the leg and just be careful the tape doesn't rub.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Or you could tape an old sock over it and cover with a poo bag if it's wet. Put the tape on the sock not on the leg and just be careful the tape doesn't rub.

Thank you for this tip! The little socks I managed to track down are beyond ridiculous, so this could be an easier way.

HI,

I've had that problem several times with my hounds. Once even a piece of glass cut off the middle pad of my hound's paw.

I put a bandage on while walking. That was often soaked with blood when we came home. It was a huge injury but healed

with the time. For minor injuries I just used to bandage the paw before walking and took it off after coming home. The bootie

does the same trick...quick recovery!

Edited by marion

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.