Having To Drag My Dog Around On Solo Walks

Hey folks.

I'm experiencing a particularly strange behavior with my grey. When he is with his pack (myself and my wife) he does really great on walks. Also if he is with another dog (we take our neighbor's dog out on walks sometimes) he does quite well too.

But if it's just myself or my wife walking him solo he refuses to walk. We basically have to drag him along and he resists the entire time. I have tried treats and a "keep up" command, but that only worked temporarily. Now he'll just ignore the treats and I'll have to drag him the whole time. My behaviorist recommended the treat method but it was no help in the long run.

Anyone know why he might do this and what can be done? The schedule for my wife and I isn't always consistent so we can't always walk him together.

Edited by incredibletaco

My Peggy is like that. She much prefers a complete 'pack' and if there's just two people and one walks off (say just to the bathroom or into a shop) she doesn't want to stay with the remaining one. If there is just one person anyway then only going to a new or rarely visited place will perk her up.

I think it's important to know that they don't 'have' to do walks, and if you have a yard where they can snuff around and do zoomies, even less of a need.

As the weather warns up Peggy becomes less interested in walks, and when it gets over 60 she thinks walks are morning and late evening things.

Any ideas on how to get him to be active in the fenced in area?

Play bows, lightened-up happy voices, ball, frisbee, seek something hidden etc. I wonder, does he roach indoors? It may be that he's feeling sub-optimal health wise and it just takes having you and your wife there to overcome it. So check his teeth, his joints for arthritis and his gut for parasites. If we humans have aches and pains we don't often want to go 'walkies' either.

This will probably not help you at all.

I have two greyhounds, Walter and Ernie. Walter LOVES walkies, he will do anything and go anywhere. Ernie....doesn't. Ernie gets SO EXCITED to leave for walkies and halfway through just drags. I have pulled him down the street. When we lived in our apartment, I would do a loop with all 3 of us, drop Ernie off and do another loop with Walter and I. Ernie accepted this but did not like it. But he also doesn't want to walk more either so..?

We live in a house with a yard now which is great, Ernie loves it, but how do you say to a very excited hound that he should stay home because this is a 2 mile walk and I don't want to drag him home?

If were in a pack with friends, there is no issue at all. Just the 3 of us.

As long as your houndie is pooping and peeing, I think your dog is just as weird as Ernie. Congratulations!

7218108076_e406044464_t.jpg 7004700518_27fa752995_t.jpg Walter (Windy Walker) and Ernie (PG Ernest) @WalterWallerson and IG: WalterandErnie 7150803233_d0700ccbdc_t.jpg 7004711314_ceba54665a_t.jpg

lol sounds like we have an Ernie on our hands. He is pooping and peeing fine and he responds great to tricks for treats.

We have had him for 7 months and his name is Rocko. He loves walks with the 3 of us on trails and he has done a 4 hour hike before no problem. But when it's not his squad he'd rather not walk at all.

Edited by incredibletaco

Try a *much* higher value treat to lure him forward - rotisserie chicken, steak bits, liverwurst. One you use just for walks and only when hes stalled, along with a command like "walk on" or whatever you want.

You can also try a toy squeaker to get him excited. They sell replacement squeakers at pet stores. Then when he stalls out, use the command and step out confidently and squeaker the squeaker out in front of him.

For other strategies search here for threads on "statueing."

Chris - Mom to: Lilly, Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom

I second the super duper high value treat method. Hot dogs or cheese worked for us.

But I have to say all of mine love their special adventure time with mom or dad when the others have to stay home.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I also have this problem off and on with my hound Dakar, about half way through the walk after he's done pooping and peeing, he decides walking is now boring. That's when I'll start using treats and use a "with me" command, and then I'll also treat randomly when he's walking along side of me. I also have to change up the walking route as he gets bored walking the same route everyday. We also do hikes on the weekends where he's in a harness and long lead to have a little more freedom to sniff/explore. Hiking is favorite, he'll get a little bounce in his step where walks around the neighborhood are like death march :rolleyes:

My Johnny is Mr. Boat Anchor. When we would go on group walks, he had to lead the pack. I thought when I got Gino, he would want to be ahead of him--NOPE. Gino is four, he is go-go-go sniff-sniff-sniff, and Johnny is all about getting the full pee-mail message for every stop.

I've taken Johnny to some off leash areas w/o other dogs around, all he does is sniff and pee. Haven't taken Gino off-leash yet, he'd probably do the same.

And, if you haven't yet, check out Richard Skipworth's greyhound art. He nails the exact behaviors we are experiencing!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

They're even more fun when they get sick of the walk and decide to plop down regardless of where they are :lol

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.