8 Yo Grey Vomiting

If anyone could help to give me some insight it would be much appreciated. We have an 8 yo grey named Maryl and she has been very healthy. Just had her physical and dental, did great. we did give her a bunch of pork rib meat over the weekend and early Monday AM vomiting started. All day yesterday she vomited every time she was given just water. We went to animal emergency last night but the wait was 4 hrs, lots of crazy dogs in the waiting room and the triage nurse told us she didn't feel maryl had bloat or was in serious danger at the time. She of couse advised us to wait and get her evaluated. maryl could not sit in that waiting room when she was so tired from her draining day, so we felt the best thing was to take her home and see how she did. Overnight I have gradually given her water and she is keeping that down but no stool. the triage nurse said it might be from a large fat load this weekend. I have had greys for long time but haven't had this problem before. Does this sound reasonable? I would like to know so we don't repeat this mistake in the future. Unfortunately Maryl hasn't met food she didn't like so she just eats anything and everything!

Thanks ahead of time!

Maria, Jeff and Maryl

5621ebf0-6541-442b-a53f-100a3975572f_zps

Quite possibly the fat-load from that pork you fed could have triggered a big 'squirt' of bile/digestive enzymes etc from the Gallbladder into the common bile duct. It is possible that some of the 'sludge' blocked the duct. Consider looking up: Gallbladder mucocele, Cholecystitis & Pancreatitis. If your dog appears Jaundiced in some way then it probably is as a result of something closely associated with the Liver. However it could be a bunch of other things which only a vet's careful examination and testing can resolve. IV therapy may still be needed.

I hope your Maryl is feeling a lot better soon.

Obviously if your dog eventually manages to pass a black tarry stool then it is from a bleed higher up in the digestive tract.

Blockage or partial blockage is not really something that gives you a lot of time so I'm hoping that nurse called it right.

Agreeing with the others. Too much fat in the pork could have triggered pancreatitis. For some dogs it doesn't take much.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Pancreatitis. Go to the vet.

FWIW, pork products always affect my dogs the worst.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

You were all right, pancreatitis. She is at the local animal hospital right now getting treatment. Thanks so much for your replies, it means a lot to me. Good info for the future and I am praying for my Maryl as she did then start vomiting again today and pancreatitis can be deadly.

5621ebf0-6541-442b-a53f-100a3975572f_zps

Hope she is improving!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.