Q (Essentialquality)

GreytNut

We suddenly lost Q. He had only been home for a couple of months.

He stopped eating, became listless and his skin felt hot. We were concerned enough to take him to the vet if he wasn't better by morning, but when he peed brown urine we took him to the emergency vet. His skin and the whites of his eyes had turned yellow and his gums were pale.

It was something we'd never heard of called IMHA (Immune Modulated Hemolytic Anemia). His immune system had suddenly gone bonkers and was slaughtering red blood cells by the billions. His liver and kidneys were shutting down and he was so weak from anemia that he just lay down on the floor at the vet's office and didn't move even though he was getting poked like a pincushion. They had a terrible time getting a blood sample because his veins had collapsed.

When we got his blood tests back the vet suggested at least one blood transfusion but probably several more, immunosuppressive drugs, antibiotics in case it was caused by a tick-borne disease, blood thinners and fluids. However the chance of survival given his poor condition was very, very slim and she didn't think that even such aggressive treatment would realistically buy him more than a day. I looked at my dog lying miserably on the floor staring off into space and made the decision to let him go. His veins had already further deteriorated and they had to resort to using his jugular to euthanize him. The only other option was a heart stick.

Poor Q Bert. This is a sample of his blood on a slide, watery thin on one side and coagulated on the other. It's the result of too few living blood cells left overall, with bunches of exploded blood cells glued together in clots. As someone with an interest in herpetology and venom toxinology, I recognized it on sight. The same thing happens when blood reacts to hemotoxic venom from vipers like rattlesnakes. In this case our local rattlesnake population is still underground for winter, so it was something from inside Q. Maybe genetic, maybe an infection, maybe a response to cancer like hemangiosarcoma. We don't know.

xVh2DUt.jpg

Penguin was with his brother and stood by him. He understood what happened. He knew Q was very sick and we gave him a chance to say goodbye at the end. It seemed to be of comfort to both of them to have him there. They were very close and Q was dependent on Penguin for moral support.

Q was a snuggly boy who loved nothing better than to cuddle on the couch or in bed with his humans. It didn't matter how much or how little room there was. He viewed it as a game of Tetris, fitting himself into whatever configuration was necessary for maximum dog-to-human contact. He wasn't here long but we sure loved him.

Both hounds were about 8 when we adopted them and we knew that's an age when things can start to go sideways (especially with cancer) but we don't regret adopting Q or Penguin. They were bounces who needed to be a package deal and deserved to be loved whether it was a few months or several years. Hopefully Penguin will be with us for a long time, with his little brother watching him from afar.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Kristen, I am so sorry. IMHA, BTDT. Extra hugs for Penguin.

Godspeed Q.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

:ohno

Run free Q...

:bighug Kristen, Mister Kristen & Penquin

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

So sorry for loss of Q. Run free good boy.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

I am so sorry - this is very hard on you, but you did the right thing by Q. And bless you for giving him such a happy last couple of months.

:f_white:f_white:f_white to you and your partner and Penguin.

:gh_run2 Run free dear Q!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

I am so very, very sorry that Q had to leave. Sending much love and peace to you and your family. Rest in peace, Q.

Jackie with Tangerine and Chimes

Always missing Gracie, Steely, Annie, Payne, Twilite, Janey Bug, Bindi, Sophie, and Dazzle

My deepest condolences. Run with the angels, dear Q.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

:( :( I'm so sorry you didn't have more time together.

Godspeed, Q.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Run-free, Q. :f_red

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I'm so incredibly sorry. You've had an awful--unbelievable-- run of losses during the last several months.

Penguin and Q were very lucky to have found you. I wish Q could have stayed much much longer.

Godspeed Q.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I am sorry that came upon Q so quickly & he didnt get to spend more time with his brother in their new home.

Thanks to for sharing his health info

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

I am so very sorry, he left far too soon.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I’m so sorry for your loss.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I am so very sorry. My first grey, Little Girl, died of the same thing at age 4 but back then it was called Vaccine Induced Hemolitic Anemia....and hers did occur shortly after her shots...but maybe that was a coincidence. :dunno We did blood transfusions and vitamin K but she was fine to gone in 48 hours. My heart breaks for you.
:brokenheart:grouphug

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

That sucks.

The vet said she once managed to keep a dog with IMHA alive for 2 weeks at the owner's insistance. She felt that it was 2 weeks too long.

It's horrifying that the immune system can just spontaneously decide to eat all of an animal's red blood cells. Poor Q went from happy to dying in no time, just like Little Girl.

Penguin is hanging in there. I think it helped that he was able to be with Q at the end and wasn't left anxiously waiting for his buddy to come home. He whimpered a little today and has been extra clingy but he also enjoyed some cuddling and watching the fish aquariums. He'll be OK with time. If it had been the other way around Q would probably not fare as well.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg