Eating Grass

I'm sure this topic has been posted before, but I will post it new. OK, so my noodle nose is a very healthy and happy hound. He, however, has taken to eating grass. Not sure exactly how much, as each time we have caught him doing it, he had already started. We have not changed his food, and he has the same energy and personality as always. His poop is the same as before, so not seeing anything about him that looks worrisome. ???????????????????

Keep a listen for stomach gurgles just in case he is having an issue, but if this is brand new grass chutes sprouting up, Rocket always thought those were like a salad. It's the only time he would nibble on grass, when the new spring chutes came up.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

When we still had grass, I often felt like I had a herd of sheep in the spring! They even found a way to graze with muzzles and stool guards on!

So it's probably ok - unless! - it's accompanied by loud stomach gurgles, vomiting, soft stools, not wanting to eat, or other signs of nausea. Then it's time for a vet visit as it could be a sign of something that needs figuring out and treating like parasites or digestive issues.

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Some dogs like grass. Not a problem in my home.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Mine like grass too but she's very selective. It has to be new-ish shoots and over 4 inches long. She also has to sniff every blade of newly cut grass which makes walks a slow process in the grass cutting season

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Sweep eats grass all year long, but the new spring growth is definitely her favorite. When her stomach is upset she is much more frantic about it and will pull the grass out in clumps rather than casually grazing.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I wanted to add the following caveat - there are parasites that they can ingest from eating grass. A friend's dog was diagnosed with lung worms from eating grass that had small snails on it, and my own dog has a mite/nematode that comes from ingesting earthworms. So there are issues with grass eating.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Rich Skipworth calls it "Greyzing"

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Rich Skipworth calls it "Greyzing"

Often accompanied by Sniffari (A short walk turned into a gruelling, interminable trek by a Greyhound intent on sniffing absolutely EVERYTHING)

If you haven't come across Rich Skipworth have a look at his Redbubble page https://www.redbubble.com/people/richskipworth

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

My dogs all love grass. They'll go outside and just graze in the spring/summer. They're so happy when the new grass starts growing after a long winter.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Mine will sometimes eat a lot of grass and later throw up the lot along with yellow bile but at the moment they are both just grazing as we walk along.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.