Vet Records/invoices - How Long Do You Keep Them?

What's your system for vet records and invoices? What do you keep, how do you keep it (digital or paper, etc), and for how long?

I am pairing down my paperwork and coming up with a better filing system and stuff related to the dogs is a bit harder for me to part with. :ph34r I have invoices and insurance claims from years back, time to pair down! What's your system?

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I keep a binder on each dog. Once they've died I'm too emotional to toss it. Eventually I do, but if there was a particular medical challenge I will save those pages.

When traveling with my dogs and when preparing for hurricanes, I save a picture of their vet documents showing that they are up to date on vaccines, along with their last lab results.

I do keep a printed copy of that current info tucked in my car as well.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Pretty much forever. I put their records in the cloud and that way they are instantly accessible everywhere at all times should I need them for something. Also easy to just send the link to them to anybody that needs them.

Far too long :lol . I finally purged paperwork on my decades gone pets. I like Ducky's idea of keeping papers regarding medical issues and resolutions. We lost Gracie last August and I know her paperwork will be here for a long time. Not helpful, sorry. (I have also kept my parents' paperwork for far too long but I think I am now able to let go). It's ok to hold on until you are ready. :bighug We all understand.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

Each dog has a binder where everything goes for storage. Anything important like an x-ray or test result that we are currently dealing with goes to my Google Drive so that I can pull it up on the phone if needed and share it or print it where needed.

I need to clean up my Google Drive and get some of Rocket's documents off there to free up space.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

We don't have to deal with insurance so I don't keep invoices generally, unless it's for some specific procedure.

Medical records I tend to keep at least until I don't have the pet anymore, and maybe longer if I think I might want/need to reference them in the future.

I do keep hard copies of vaccination records and general health info with us when we travel.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Well I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in having a harder time parting with this stuff than say, old paystubs. :lol

I do worry that if I get rid of some of it I'll want to reference it later. I actually don't know if I finally got rid of the diary I kept when Neyla had osteo where I tracked her supplements, etc. I think I did...I have to really think about what pieces of that type of stuff could actually be useful and maybe create a digital copy if possible.

I do like the idea of creating travel documents for the dogs.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I do like the idea of creating travel documents for the dogs.

When you do, add them to a Google Drive, DropBox or similar service so that you have access to them electronically in addition to any hard copies. I have been able to utilize Google Drive several times on vet consults, and it was used heavily when we consulted with Dr Cuoto on an issue where he wanted videos of Rocket walking on certain surfaces and taken from multiple directions.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life