Are The Flavor Options Just Dog Reference?

I am looking to change my hounds food from 4Health Grain Free Large Breed to either Diamonds Natural or American Journey as i have hear good things on both. He has seemed to always skip multiple meals once a week or two and i was wanting to change to see if it helps. The 4Health is Turkey based, so i was thinking i would switch. Is there a flavor that most dogs seem to like better or is it each dog just different. I see there is Salmon, Beef, Chicken, and Lamb. Thanks in advance.

Depends on the dog. Most of mind would eat any protein but every dog I've had loved fish. I switch between chicken or turkey and salmon of the same food. It was Pro Plan with Buddy and Maggie Eats Nature's Variety grain free as she just really likes it - especially the salmon and sweet potato.variety.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Grace prefers chicken to the fish variety of her kibble but I've found that she likes a spoonful of tinned pure pumpkin puree mixed in which has the added advantage that it helps firm up her stools.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Grace prefers chicken to the fish variety of her kibble but I've found that she likes a spoonful of tinned pure pumpkin puree mixed in which has the added advantage that it helps firm up her stools.

Is canned 100% Pure Pumkin the same as puree? I give my dog a spoonful of non fat non flavored yogurt and have consider switching to the purée as well.

Edited by skellyk

Is canned 100% Pure Pumkin the same as puree? I give my dog a spoonful of non fat non flavored yogurt and have consider switching to the purée as well.

Yes I it is. Once opened it keeps for 1 week covered in the fridge

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

• 1 month later...

Anyone notice that canned pumpkin keeps going up in price?

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

On 3/10/2019 at 10:20 PM, skellyk said:

I am looking to change my hounds food from 4Health Grain Free Large Breed to either Diamonds Natural or American Journey as i have hear good things on both. He has seemed to always skip multiple meals once a week or two and i was wanting to change to see if it helps. The 4Health is Turkey based, so i was thinking i would switch. Is there a flavor that most dogs seem to like better or is it each dog just different. I see there is Salmon, Beef, Chicken, and Lamb. Thanks in advance.

If you're looking to make a change, check out the posts on this part of the forum about DCM, and if you're interested there is a good science-based group over on facebook - Taurine-Deficient (Nutritional) Dilated Cardiomyopathy that dives deeper in some new issues that have popped up with the explosion of dog food brands/varieties. Just food for thought ;)

3 hours ago, beledi said:

Anyone notice that canned pumpkin keeps going up in price?

If you have an Aldi grocery store in your area, pure pumpkin puree in my Florida city is only 79 cents per 15-1/2 ounce can and much more so at Publix and Winn-Dixie (not sure about Target or Walmart because don't shop there).