How Long Is Dry Food Good For?

In an airtight container it should still be good until at least the date printed on the bag. The exception would be if it was exposed to air for a long period of time. Dampness or heat would also reduce shelf life, but room temp should be fine.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I thought the expiration date on the bag applied when unopened only?

If your container is airtight (has a gasketed lid like most pet food containers) it should be fine. That's why I specified an airtight container in my response. If you are just using something like a Rubbermaid tub that isn't airtight, I would assume the food to be exposed to air and humidity and last way less time.

This might be a good question to send to the customer service people at the food manufacturer since each one uses different criteria to determine that date. I would specifically ask them how long it should be good for once the package is opened. Being in Phoenix, I have had one or two bags that got a bad smell pretty fast after receiving them, and those were shipped in the summer heat. I'm guessing they sat in a really hot trailer for an extended period because you could tell that the smell wasn't normal on opening the bag, even though there was plenty of time left on the Use By Date. In both cases, the manufacturer replaced them without question, and in one case they asked me to send them a sample for testing.

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

That is not something I've thought about so I've just had a look at the 15 kg sack of Grace's kibble. The best before date is next year and the storage instructions say once opened store in a cool dry place with the top folded over. No mention of keeping it airtight.

I agree with Time4ANap it's a question for customer services of each manufacturer.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Be on the lookout for mold. It can look fine in the canister or bag but in the sunlight, you'll see mold. It can happen quickly in a humid environment.

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound