Refusing To Move From Laying Position

Hi all,

My husband and I just adopted a 4 year old racer 4 days ago. Our racer is amazing. Hes sweet and hes been a dream to house train so far. In the past few days however hes started refusing to move from when he is lying down. It happens when we are trying to take him out and its happened when trying to move him to our bedroom to sleep. We arent sure what to do! Weve used excited voices, toys, and treats so far. Treats have worked the best but Im afraid we are reinforcing the behavior when we give him treats. Any ideas or thoughts? He sees the vet on saturday so if there is an underlying physical concern, we will know then! Any ideas or tricks would be helpful!

LOL

When Nixon arrived here we had to tip him off his bed to get him up.

Sid is also very hard to get up sometimes.

Will he get up if you clip a leash to his collar?

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Octane does that sometimes-especially if he gets tired from like being at an event or something. Sometimes people ask me if he is OK or not hehe. It really is quite difficult to get him up when he does it and sometimes I have to physically lift him to get him on his feet. I consider it an endearing greyhound quirp. Don't worry about giving the treats. If it works use them. What he is actually being rewarded for is getting up. Pick a word and teach him that when you say that word he gets a treat. Say the word/give a treat. He'll learn it quickly. Its called charging the mark. Then when he gets up in response to your offer of a treat say that word WHEN HE GETS UP and give him the treat. You are marking the behavior of getting up. He will quickly realize that getting up makes you say 'the word' and that means treats! You can use this same technique to teach him other things too. But its no big deal-just an endearing greyhound quirp. They are after all hound dogs haha-fast ones to be sure-but also a hound hehe. It sounds like he is a great guy and you got lucky and got a dream dog for your first houndie :):beatheart :beatheart :beatheart :beatheart :beatheart

Everything is still new to him.

Do not tug on his collar or lean over him. Clip on his leash to guide him up and to guide him off somewhere you don't want him, like the couch or your bed.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

This has happened to me with almost every foster dog that I had. It might have something to do with "nights out" in the kennel. I usually kept a leash on them and if they were on a bed, I flipped the bed. Be careful if you do it because they may be grumbly about it. If there are two people, one person can hold the leash and the other can flip the bed.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

If his treat of choice stops working, up the treat value to something really yummy that you use only for this purpose. Then use the event to teach him a command as described above. It only takes them a few succesful repetitions to get in the swing of things.

You're not reinforcing the wrong behavior you're reinforcing the behavior you want.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Greyhounds may be one of the only dog breeds to require a good "Up!" command maybe even more than a down command. :)

First of all make sure that your pup is actually awake. Sometimes when they are sleeping or dozing they look awake (eyes are open, ears are up) but aren't. So you are calling and calling them and offering treats but they are lights out. When it is time for bed we have to call our girl a few times to get her to come to bed. Not because she is disobedient or willful, she was just asleep and didn't really hear us.

Edited by muddgirl

8409816506_4027b1afc8.jpg

Batman (racing name CTW Battle Plan) adopted May 2011, passed away July 2017

Buffy (racing name CTW Bathsheba) adopted Oct 2012, passed away March 2022

Grace started to do the same so I started to put a piece of chicken in front of her just out of reach and stood back so she had to get up to get it. Once up it was on with the lead and another piece of chicken to tempt her to keep moving. Once moving she was OK. Now she hears me going into the fridge to get the treat and meets me at the door and I now only need one piece.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I have a hard time getting Xavi up anytime but breakfast time. I use treats, as suggested by others.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.