Road Tripping Or Other Travel With Your Hound

Time4ANap

Since we are coming into spring and summer travel season for greyhound events, just a reminder that some states (not all) require you to have a document called a CVI or Certificate of Veterinary Inspection to cross into their state. Each state agriculture department has their own requirements for this document, and chances are you aren't going to need it unless you end up having an "incident" where you need to present the dog's health documentation, whether that's a dog bite or an e-vet visit, The typical rabies certificate does not meet the requirement for this document as it needs to state that the dog is clear of other health issues and did not come from a quarantined area.

Locally for us, Arizona and Utah require it, and I know that Illinois requires it as our previous vet there automatically printed it out with our invoice. Some states require the certificate to be no older than 30 days, so check requirements for the state(s) you will be driving into.

I did find several references to people being fined for not having the document, one of them a rescue person who brought a dog into Wisconsin without the document and ended up with a $900 fine. Best to have it in the car and not need it than ending up wishing you had it.

You can check the requirement for dogs, cats and livestock for each state using this link - https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/interstate-pet-travel

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Huh, I've moved states multiple times and I've never been asked for a CVI or anything when boarding or going to a new vet. The proof of rabies vaccination and other shots has been the most I've ever needed. Only one place issued a dog license, that was Shelby County TN.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Where would they even ask for documentation, since you don't formally cross a border?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Where would they even ask for documentation, since you don't formally cross a border?

Each state agriculture department has inspectors. The only thing I can think is that they can request the certificate after the fact if there's an incident like a bite etc.

We were never asked for that certificate when licensing Rocket or Petunia with the county here, so I'm guessing (purely a guess) that it's one of those things that an incident report might trigger. It's on my list to ask my vet about at the next appointment since Petunia may be going to Kanab at some point and crossing into Utah.

This came up in another forum because someone is moving to Phoenix and asked for info about the required document. As I checked into it, I found that it is required in many other states too, and without it your dog can end up in quarantine, fines levied etc. Since it's just a piece of paper, I plan to start getting one from the vet before we travel on trips to other states. I honestly think that it will never be asked for unless there is an incident. There are some states that have agricultural checkpoints, but it's usually commercial livestock shipments that are required to stop there. I have a feeling there's little to no enforcement unless they want to see the certificate after getting a dog bite report.

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

It must be new. I've driven hundreds of dog across borders, in TX, OK, KS, NM, MO and IL. I was even stopped for speeding by the Kansas Highway Patrol because I was trying to get Buck to a costume contest in Abilene. He said I had the best excuse ever and let me go. Never even looked at Bucks Rabies tag. I know Greyhounds Unlimited takes dogs back and forth to WI all the time. I'll ask tonight if they take vet certificates with.

The only way I can think of getting busted is if you were stopped at an official livestock and poultry inspection station which I have seen a few times especially near the TX/MX border. I had written this before your last and was waiting to hear from IL.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

It must be new. I've driven hundreds of dog across borders, in TX, OK, KS, NM, MO and IL. I was even stopped for speeding by the Kansas Highway Patrol because I was trying to get Buck to a costume contest in Abilene. He said I had the best excuse ever and let me go. Never even looked at Bucks Rabies tag. I know Greyhounds Unlimited takes dogs back and forth to WI all the time. I'll ask tonight if they take vet certificates with.

The only way I can think of getting busted is if you were stopped at an official livestock and poultry inspection station which I have seen a few times especially near the TX/MX border. I had written this before your last and was waiting to hear from IL.

Apparently it's been "a thing" for many years from what I can find online. I haven't found the details behind the person in Wisconsin getting fined. IL requires it, as that is where our vet always printed it out automatically when we checked out after a visit. (also double checked on the link I posted and IL is on there) She never did that until she computerized the office, so the software she was using automatically printed it out. We had the certificate when we moved to AZ but at that time didn't know we needed it. No one ever asked for it when we moved here, but I did send it with Rocket's records when we established with a vet here.

I really don't think it's enforced in most places, but like you I have seen those Agriculture Inspection stations popped up at rest areas along interstates over the years.

I'm thinking that the haulers bringing dogs to the group must have a certificate for each dog transported since they are more likely to be inspected than someone driving a passenger car with one or two dogs. Some airlines also require the certificate when a dog is flying from what I can find online.

I figure it's no big deal, but I will carry one as part of Petunia's vet records when we travel just to be safe, and maybe prevent her being quarantined if her health is questioned for some reason. I will simply ask the vet to email one to me before a trip. I always take current vet records for any dog we travel with, so this is just one more piece of paper in that package and not a big deal. The main reason I even posted about this was learning that the rabies certificate isn't the only document required in many states, so figured it might save someone a headache if the issue did come up.

If you are transporting dogs to a rescue group/shelter/etc out of state, yes, each dog needs an interstate health certs to travel. I'll skip the load of crap those certs can be, but yes, they are required. I've had a vet do a quick exam on each dog and then I've had a vet that never even put hands on the dog or looked at it - cert was ready when I walked in with the dog...

The person that replaced me at the shelter recently forgot to get health certs for some dogs traveling to MA. The rescue in MA had to quarantine dogs for 2 weeks because they didn't have that piece of paper. Why the transporter accepted them without the cert is beyond me, but either way, the receiving end had to deal with the issues as a result of no certs.

If you are transporting dogs to a rescue group/shelter/etc out of state, yes, each dog needs an interstate health certs to travel. I'll skip the load of crap those certs can be, but yes, they are required. I've had a vet do a quick exam on each dog and then I've had a vet that never even put hands on the dog or looked at it - cert was ready when I walked in with the dog...

The person that replaced me at the shelter recently forgot to get health certs for some dogs traveling to MA. The rescue in MA had to quarantine dogs for 2 weeks because they didn't have that piece of paper. Why the transporter accepted them without the cert is beyond me, but either way, the receiving end had to deal with the issues as a result of no certs.

Thanks. Still can't find any process where an individual traveling with a pet is going to be asked for the cert, but every site I've looked at makes it sound like you should have one in your dog's records if you are crossing state lines where it's required. The various state sites don't seem to make an exception regarding an individual pet vs a transporter with a quantity of pets.

Rabies certificates only have been requested, never even health certificates. If you are traveling for over 30 days and your health certificates are new just ask the police to please call the vet for a confirmation or to have one emailed over. I personally would not worry and we schlep our dogs everywhere. Once at a state park in VT was a current rabies certificate questioned.

Word on some sites is that the mystery woman was fined $700 by the state of WI. :huh No one says if the dog was in a car or flown in (more believable).

I have flown rescue dogs into O'Hare and Newark. They were accompanied with complete shot and vet records. At DFW no one looked at the paperwork (complete vaccination and vet records). They just made sure we weren't hiding contraband in the crate and did a look see to make sure the dogs weren't drugged. When Bella landed at O'Hare her adoptive parents were told she was "by the golf clubs". They got her out of the crate, put her leash on her and walked out. No one even asked for the equivalent of a baggage claim tag on a suitcase.

I have several greyhound rescue friends in NM. IL and IN. After talking to them they all said they had never seen nor been asked for a CVI. All dogs are transported with up to date vet records and proof of vaccination. In several hundred events there hasn't been a peep.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Wow! I had never heard of this. We traveled in our motorhome for 5.5 years all over the U.S. and never had a problem. I did have their info with me but not a health certificate. We visited several emergency vets and showed them shot records. No issues for us, thank goodness.

Edited by PattyE

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011