10 Hr Work Days

Hi,

I'm a prospective owner looking into greyhounds, but my primary concern is being away at work for 10 hours a day (including commute). Can a typical greyhound be alone for that long?

I was hoping I could adjust my work schedule in the beginning until he gets more acclimated to me/the apartment. I was thinking I could work the first 2-3 weeks from home/a café to help ease the transition to being alone for extended periods of time. And after those 2-3 weeks, I could move to a schedule of working in my office (10 hour days) about twice a week. If that goes well, I would probably have to go back to 10 hour work days during weekdays (5 days/week).

What are your thoughts on this type of work schedule? Do you think a greyhound can manage being alone for that long? Or perhaps this is just a bad time for me to adopt?

Also, living in an apartment in the city, I don't have regular access to a fenced park. I may only be able to get to one every 2 weeks or so. Do you think this would be a problem, or would longer daily walks be okay for him? I've been reading some mixed feedback online on this, so I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

You might want to discuss the situation with your adoption agency as some dogs will do better than others. Mine sometimes doesn't want to go out before bed, suggesting she can comfortably hold it for 12-14 hours.

If there is a good doggy day care nearby, that might be a good option. Mine goes all day two days a week. She's completely zonked for the next 24 hours afterwards and it alleviates some of the need for me to exercise her. I try to take her to run once a week, but often times it's more like once every two weeks. Vet thinks she's in very good health.

You might want to discuss the situation with your adoption agency as some dogs will do better than others. Mine sometimes doesn't want to go out before bed, suggesting she can comfortably hold it for 12-14 hours.

If there is a good doggy day care nearby, that might be a good option. Mine goes all day two days a week. She's completely zonked for the next 24 hours afterwards and it alleviates some of the need for me to exercise her. I try to take her to run once a week, but often times it's more like once every two weeks. Vet thinks she's in very good health.

Thanks, I will definitely check with the agency. I'm just hoping to get an idea of what to expect before I get too committed.

I've been thinking about doggy daycares and dog walkers as well, but I'm wondering how necessary it is.

While a dog may be able to 'hold it' for 10 hours or longer they should not be made to. At the very least please consider a a dog walker or daycare. Loneliness and boredom would be concerns, as well. My very personal, humble opinion.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I'm gone for about 9-10 hours a day for work and I have a dog walker that comes in mid-day. She can walk the dogs and or play with them in our fenced yard. My two greyhounds are adjusted perfectly to this, although they are ready for walking and playing with me when I get home since they've been along and quiet for so much of the day.. Having the break mid-day helps them a lot.

You need to consider very carefully your commitment to getting whatever dog you adopt the proper care and exercise they need along with your long workday. Will you be willing and able to go for walks before you leave and when you come home after working that long a day? Day cares and dog walkers aside - dogs need companionship. Can you - will you - provide it? Is your schedule such that you can take time off if your dog gets sick or injured?

It's not to say that people who work long hours can't have dogs. People can and do. But you need to really commit to it.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I have a dog walker come in every day at lunchtime. It really helps.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I have long days like that and lost the person who would come to let my dogs out to, well, that's a different story. Anyway, I was able to teach my dogs to use washable pee pads while I was gone. They didn't always need to use it, but did once in a while. It worked really well. I always had more clean ones on hand, so I didn't have to wash one or two by themselves. I bought the really large ones for hospital beds, put 2 down on the floor in a specific place and that was it.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Well it is not often that it happens, my dogs have no problems holding it for that long.

My suggestion is to talk to your adoption group and consider a dog walker. Also, be prepared to set up a potty area just in case. If the are is used, simply clean it up and move on.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

There are dog walking services out there. We use Wag! which is a national service. They are really great and fairly reasonable. You can choose preferred walkers so that your dog can see the same person most of the time.

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.