Tell Me About Kidney Disease

I have the opportunity to perma-foster a dog with kidney disease. Prognosis - one year. Shes's one of the Canidrome dogs.

I don't have any issue with dog food but my house is treat heavy. And since I have chickens, eggs are a big treat. What is out there to buy or make that I can give as cookies? And extra special food?

The commercial renal diets are high fat, low protein. So, if you can afford that fine. Cooked chicken with mostly rice lowers the protein level, it's a PITA but affordable. That works for Felix,he is alive nearly a year later existing on it. As to treats try human cookies(Graham crackers, Nila wafers, plain stuff) or pound cake and Cheerios. Fatty, very little protein. Felix seems fine with that type of garbage and very happy. It's boring but he doesn't care and is still eating even though he can't keep an ounce on.oh, cereal mixed into the rice is a win win treat. Listen to rice crispies snap, crackle and pop with chicken broth! It will add a smile to your day. Good luck!

Edited by cleptogrey

cleptogrey, you are an inspiration.

How old is the perma-foster? Just curious. I adopted a dog with kidney disease that turned out to be acute rather than chronic. Over a period of @ 2 years (from initial onset) she recovered to near-normal.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I have a list about food for dogs with kidney disease I can send you if you are interested. Just have to translate it first.

And you might want to look into suc-therapy by a company called Heel. It is a holistic therapy with no side effects that works great.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

With our chronic kidney animals (Shane the greyhound and Sam the cat), both of whom lived 4-5 years after diagnosis, we learned not to go too low too fast on the protein. To do so makes their other systems suffer and leads to faster deterioration. Shane passed in 2016, but we had used Royal Canin Renal - Medium Protein very successfully with him; then they changed the formula designations to A, B, C or whatever, so I can't tell you what it's called today. Whatever brand you choose, try for medium protein limitation rather than drastic, which is for later in the disease progression.

We also learned that it's the quality of the protein that matters more than the absolute amount. So lactose-free milk was great, and he gobbled up Costco rotisserie chicken!

Wishing you all and your dogs the best. It's a roller coaster, and there's usually an Up after a Down, so keep the faith. :heart

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

We just lost our Angel Laci to kidney failure after a really quick diagnosis. Check out K9Kidneys on yahoo. It is a great group of people who are experts in kidney disease and dogs. Unfortunately for us, Laci was too far down a bad path for them to help. Check them out, they maybe able to answer your questions. You would need a recent blood lab values to get assistance. God Bless!

Be Safe Out There!

Jake

Due to all the great info you gave me here in this thread and other threads I am taking Cee Magic into my home for the rest of her life however long or short.

I will be picking her up in about a week. Then I will also have access to all her info.

is your group supplying rx food? i have only heard great things about it- if not supplying can they cost share?

you have a big heart!

You may want to see if the group will pick up the cost of the protein dip-sticks for the urine. This way you could check the urine yourself every few days or weekly and see how much protein is being excreted and if necessary, cut back on protein unless levels are better. I did this for a dog that had an acute kidney condition that he recovered from.

https://smile.amazon.com/d/Clinical-Diagnostic-Test-Kits/Urine-Test-Strip-10-Parameters/B073DMKR2K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1550369497&sr=8-3&keywords=protein+dipstick+test

• 4 weeks later...

Update.

I've had CC 2 weeks now. She was eating Hills kibble with Hill canned for flavor supplied by the adoption group. She really wasn't interested. So I canned the canned for homemade to be mixed with kibble.

Ok that was a huge hit. Eating better. It's a mix of veggies, pasta and either chicken or eggs.

I took her to my vets who was appalled by her mouth (as was I). He said it was definitely a contributing factor if not the actual cause of her kidney issues. He also said the values weren't bad enough she couldn't handle anesthesia. The adoption group was afraid to give her anesthesia, thus no spay or dental. They have a clinic on site. So it was their vet that nixed it.

But I knew her mouth would affect the rest of her body, so we did the dental.

She survived, lost 24 teeth.

She now finishes her food, twice what Emma gets faster than it takes Emma to eat. And Emma is a champion food hound. It's very obvious her mouth was painful. But she's feeling great now. And my vet said to not judge her kidneys until we get another set of bloodwork in 3 months.

So I'm being a little optimistic that with a clean mouth now, her kidney values will improve.

Such good news!

As mentioned earlier, I adopted a dog who'd had an acute kidney failure incident, and over @ 2 years her kidneys did improve to near normal. We did bloodwork @ every 6 months for her to keep an eye on things.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

This is such a great update, MP! Good job!!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Mary Pat,

Rocket was on the Rx Purina NF Kidney food, both kibble and canned. Every dog that stayed with us tried to get his kibble and some of them succeeded. They would scarf it down so I'm assuming they really liked it. Rocket loved both the kibble and canned. There was never a moment of hesitation from him when I switched to that food.

Might be worth a try if you need a new kibble.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Mary Pat,

Rocket was on the Rx Purina NF Kidney food, both kibble and canned. Every dog that stayed with us tried to get his kibble and some of them succeeded. They would scarf it down so I'm assuming they really liked it. Rocket loved both the kibble and canned. There was never a moment of hesitation from him when I switched to that food.

Might be worth a try if you need a new kibble.

Since she got her teeth done she's inhaling her food. And if/when she gets picky I'll talk with the adoption group as they're supplying the food. But I'll keep this brand in mind. Thanks.