Ooops! Again

I've been let down by my Grace again. And again it was when we were visiting my mother. She, Grace not my mother, decided that the pale coloured carpet needed a little extra something and thought that emptying her bladder on it was just the ticket. This is only the second time she has gone inside and both times at my mother's.

I don't think she has anything against my mother as she gets given a couple of pieces of ginger biscuit, or the shade of carpet. I think it was the cold weather that caused the bladder failure. I'm going to have to take the price of a bunch of flowers for my mother from Grace's stuffy toy allowance.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

She needs to be potty trained at your Moms house. She doesnt know where to go when shes there. Dogs will always seek an absorbent surface on which to urinate.

Edited by LaFlaca

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

You might already do this, but whenever we go to another house, even if the dog watered every bush on the way in, we make them go outside again after entering the house. This seems to give them some direction as to which door they need to go to if they need out and where to go (assuming a fenced yard) , and often it seems like the car ride generates a pretty healthy number 2 that they are ready for on arrival.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Make sure that where she's pottied gets cleaned well with an enzymatic cleaner specifically formulated for pet waste. If not, the snell will linger and tell her 'this is a pottying spot' and it will encourage her to use the same spot.

And when you go back there, definitely bring her in on lead then take her back out. Then watch her avidly and take her out immediately if she even looks like she might be sniffing around for a spot. It's true that you have to potty train her to your mom's house as you likely did to yours...and now you have to be hyper aware and prevent it from becoming a routine. It's going to be all on you to break this immediately, which means 95% of your attention has to be on her at all times over probably the next five to ten visits. And reward her profusely for pottying outside while you are visiting to make her understand you love it happening outside, while preventing it from happening inside.

This gave me a laugh as I remember my first greyhound's introduction to my parent's house. My folks are not dog folks--cats yes, dogs not really. Scout was the first dog I had to housetrain. She learned the idea really quickly--I think she had one accident before she got the idea. So after a month with no accidents, I took her to my folks to meet the rest of the family. She calmly walked in, met everyone, then proceeded to pee on the living room carpet. I was mortified. My folks were horrified and since then have never really trusted any of my greyhounds and it has been 20 years, six greys and only the one accident. Scout didn't understand why we were upset, no one had ever told her not to pee there. I learned then that, just because a dog is house trained at home, it doesn't mean that they realize that the rules apply to all homes.

Edited by Scoutsmom

Thanks for your replies

In mine and Grace's defence, she is usually very good at letting me know when she needs to go. We have been visiting my mother at least once a week ever since Grace adopted me 7 months ago. She gets a chance to go to the toilet when we arrive before we go into the flat/apartment.

The first time was because we were talking and didn't see the warning signs. This time she had gone to the toilet when we arrived at the flat/apartment before we went in but for some reason she peed on my mother's carpet 5 minutes after arriving. She regularly goes 10+ hours between toilet through her own choice so I still think it was because of the cold weather and not for any other reason apart from it's because she's a greyhound and they like to keep you on your toes :flip:D

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I hope this doesn't prejudice your mother against Grace.

No. I'm lucky I've an understanding mother. She has grown up with pets and when she met my father he was the head herdsman of a local farm so is used to animal "deposits". Plus I get told off if I don't take Grace with me and she gets the ginger biscuits, I don't.