Panacur Side Effect - Itching

Yes, my new grey from Birmingham has hookworms. I am following the vets protocol for chronic hookworm because they returned after the initial treatment. That is not my question - but it is relevant because we have a lot of Panacur doses ahead of us in the coming months.

My problem involves the Panacur causing extreme itching (a known side effect) in my hound. She was up all night licking and biting herself. I finally gave her a Benadryl at 1 am, and then another this morning at 7 am. Those have seemed to help for a while. Does anyone have experience with this side effect and any advice? I have contacted the rescue and they have contacted the vet to see what they suggest - but in the meantime I thought I would see if anyone else has had the problem and has any suggestions. Thx.

I know we never experienced that side effect from it and don't remember any posts in the recent past with that issue. I did a couple of searches of the site and didn't come up with any other posts either. Probably best to consult the vet and hold off giving any more until you get an answer.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I have no personal experience in dealing with this, but I've posted your questions on another forum that some greyhound vets and vet techs visit.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks for your replies Time4ANap and macoduck. And for your time searching and cross-posting! I found one post “miserable while deworming” on this site that sounded similar. I finally gave her two more Benadryl at 11 am and that seemed to help a lot. (So total of 4 Benadryl.) I am doing as you suggest and holding off on administering any more until I hear from the vet, hopefully Monday. She was so miserable it was sad and unnerving. I hope we can do something different - but I’m kind of betting it will be Panacur and lots of Benadryl.

How new is your hound to you? Are you certain the itching is related to the medicine, as opposed to other leftover issues from racing/kennel days? Our guy was definitely itchy when he first came home but after a couple weeks it calmed down. Food sensitivity can also cause skin itching, you might compare the ingredients in the current food versus the food from the kennel.

You might also check out the dedicated hookworm thread here, there are definitely options that aren't Panacur that are working for people (my dog included), if you can't get this symptom under control.

Hi Bizeebee - I’ve had her a month now. She wasn’t having issues previously. But I did think about the fact that I mixed the Panacur in about 1T plain pumpkin, then mixed all that in her food, so it could have been the pumpkin I suppose - though I doubt it. I just gave her a touch of pumpkin to test that theory. Fingers crossed she doesn’t have a problem with it. Although I suppose the best thing will be if she does because then it wouldn’t have been the Panacur, and she could take it - which would be excellent. Twisted logic. I skimmed the hookworm thread but will read it more thoroughly. Thx.

Hi Bizeebee - I’ve had her a month now. She wasn’t having issues previously. But I did think about the fact that I mixed the Panacur in about 1T plain pumpkin, then mixed all that in her food, so it could have been the pumpkin I suppose - though I doubt it. I just gave her a touch of pumpkin to test that theory. Fingers crossed she doesn’t have a problem with it. Although I suppose the best thing will be if she does because then it wouldn’t have been the Panacur, and she could take it - which would be excellent. Twisted logic. I skimmed the hookworm thread but will read it more thoroughly. Thx.

I doubt it's the pumpkin, I meant the kibble. Lots of dogs are sensitive to chicken, but other ingredients can cause a reaction as well.