Laci Diagnosed With Kidney Failure

Thank you! Tears are falling here at our house. We know and understand we did the right thing for our girl. When she wouldn’t drink or eat, we knew that we needed to set her free. She so wanted to run, even with her broken leg. She was incredibly fast and lived to run, eat, lounge, sleep and provide unconditional love to Ann, I, our granddaughter Aubree and anyone she decided to grace with her wagging tail and her presence. She was genuinely a good ambassador for rescued greyhounds. She was gentle, quiet, and her big brown eyes told you to pet her, scratch her ears and love on her. So many people told us what a wonderful dog we had. She was polite, didn’t jump, bark and sometimes wouldn’t even get off the sofa when someone came over to our home. We had an insurance man come over to check on hail damage to our home. He had to step over Laci, who was laying on the floor in the sun. So typical of her laid back personality. Oh my how we will miss her. We have had a total of 3 greys over the better part of 20 years. The first two were sisters from the same litter. Belles was my pup. Luci was Ann’s pup. When Luci died from bone cancer, Ann came home with Laci. I asked “ what have you done?” When Belle died of liver cancer, Laci filled the void by being an “our” dog. She was our dog through good and bad times, always greeting us when we came home and leaned on us for a pat on the head. She was the first dog EVER to get to sit on my mom’s sofa. She looked at my mom, and crawled up, making herself at home. When mom was in hospice, we brought her a picture of Laci on her sofa, and it made mom smile.

There is a huge void at our home tonight. Being newly retired, I am sure I will notice her absence terribly tomorrow. But the pain of our loss will subside eventually. The memories of our little girl will live on for as long as we can take a breath on this earth. May God look after you and your long legged friend. Pat them on their head or scratch their ears for us and please keep Laci in your thoughts and prayers. Only this group understand just how special greyhounds are. Thank you for allowing me to share my thoughts and feelings during this terrible time.

Be Safe Out There!

Jake

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, special girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so very sorry you had to make that heartbreaking decision, even though it was the only kind one. Perhaps you can feel or remember her spirit there with you. Sending hugs.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Thanks so much! She was EVERYWHERE in our lives. The house is incredibly quiet......and lonely without her here. Finally took a quick look at available greys at adoption locations somewhat close......not quite ready even though the vet recommended we consider it. Maybe we will honor Laci in April (National Greyhound Adoption Month) with another 1 or 2. We appreciate your kind words, we genuinely appreciate it!

Be Safe Out There!

Jake