Grey Bit Maintenance Man

So my husband and I live in an apartment and we had pipes freeze and our water heater went out. While I was off work today, two maintenance men unexpectedly, without appt came to the apartment to pick up the supplies they left.

Normally Im at work and the dogs are crated. I opened the door for the first man and had Paisley put into her crate. The second man barged right in like 5 minutes later and I was trying to make sure the Yorkie wouldnt scoot out the door and to contain Paisley. Paisleys hackles went up and she lunges at the man and nipped? Bit? his thigh. He said was okay but obviously I felt terrible.

Then I thought how creepy it was that he just waltzed right in, asking if the other guy was still here. Headed to our bedroom, I had to redirect him to the water heater. Creepy.

Didnt realize Paisley could be such a guard dog?? But concerned obviously that she lunged at this man.

Whenever they come to our house, the dogs are always in the crates but today I was off so the routine was different.

Help please! Concerned but also greatful shes looking out for the house? Ahh idk

Paisley was doing what dogs do. If he doesn't get treatment for a bite (and from your description it sounds like a nip, so describe it as that if you need to) then you probably won't hear any more about it. If he does have it treated, then in most cases the medical facility will report the bite and you'll receive a visit from Animal Control.

Rocket bit a friend who reached down to pet him while he was sleeping. She knew better, and just forgot that he would startle. She had to go to the doctor since it was a puncture to the hand, and the doctor, by law reported it to Animal Control. The AC Officer showed up a few days later, and since his shots were in order, restricted him to the house for 2 weeks. No leash walks, no trips outside the house anywhere. The alternative was that they could take him for 2 weeks and quarantine him. Once she heard what happened, she knew that he wasn't a threat and just ordered the home quarantine.

I would be livid if this guy entered my apartment without knocking and announcing himself. He might even find himself held at gunpoint in my house if he wasn't expected to be there.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Yes don't worry about it. Stupid man comes barging in your house and acting in a questionable manner, like going to the bedroom for a water heater/pipe issue etc. Paisley did good! Dogs can tell stuff about people that we can't. Its entirely possible that she picked up on something negative from his scent that may even be unrelated to his barging in. Believe me dogs can do that! And police dogs do it frequently when tracking bad guys etc. I would not trust this man at all. I would trust (and thank) my dog. Paisley has tipped you off to something you should be aware of. The maintenence man won't do anything because he knows he was in the wrong to begin with and second he probably has something to hide which is what I'll bet Paisley picked up on. IMO do not trust this man at all (based on my experience as a street cop, animal control officer & K9 handler). And take note you-your intuition picked up on the negative vibs too- describing the behavior as "creepy." You should listen to your intuition-it IS valid(https://www.amazon.com/Other-Survival-Signals-Protect-Violence/dp/0440508835/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549033222&sr=8-1&keywords=gift+of+fear+book

). But even if you don't trust yourself trust your dog :)

Edited by racindog

Yes after the men left and I had time to think about it. I think Paisley did sense something weird and was probably being protective as my husband is at work, I was caught off guard and alone in the house with two maintenance men.

Happy to hear that her behavior was ok and perhaps even appropriately protective of her new family!

Needless to say, we are going to try to buy a house this spring so that we dont have to deal with all these apartment issues anymore.

Stupid maintenance person! Let's see if it is reported and then all of the info by rockets mom is most likely on the money. This was your warning that your protective dog needs to be crated. How is he with company? Just curious? Do you need to either muzzle or crate him when people come by? The Irish style muzzles are much more comfortable. Jetcitywoman sells them in her shop.my friend's make became super protective and he needed to be kept either muzzled or contained when anyone visited, including her kid's friends. On walks he was fine.

Write down every detail of what happened leading up to the bite.

Maintenance guy was in the wrong for walking directly in.

Have a copy of Paisley's shot records available. If the skin wasn't broken then nothing further should happen.

If the worst does happen because the skin was broken and Animal Control pays a visit, a quarantine may be required.

Ask for it to be an in-home quarantine only. Paisley would only go outside for potty walks. Stress how well Paisley behaved with the first guy who was at your door and how the second guy entered without permission.

Has your apartment manager been notified? I'm thinking more because the guy was creepy and didn't knock first. What if he'd entered an apartment and the tenant had a truly aggressive dog loose in the room?

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Paisley does great with company! This was the first incidence where she showed any type of aggression towards someone. The vet and all the techs there absolutely love her because shes so gentle. Weve had many people at the house and they think shes a delight!

Im not sure if the skin was broken. He said he was fine? In previous maintenance visits theyve always been crated but this time was unexpected and I was sleeping when they were ringing at the door.

Yes don't worry about it. Stupid man comes barging in your house and acting in a questionable manner, like going to the bedroom for a water heater/pipe issue etc. Paisley did good! Dogs can tell stuff about people that we can't. Its entirely possible that she picked up on something negative from his scent that may even be unrelated to his barging in. Believe me dogs can do that! And police dogs do it frequently when tracking bad guys etc. I would not trust this man at all. I would trust (and thank) my dog. Paisley has tipped you off to something you should be aware of. The maintenence man won't do anything because he knows he was in the wrong to begin with and second he probably has something to hide which is what I'll bet Paisley picked up on. IMO do not trust this man at all (based on my experience as a street cop, animal control officer & K9 handler). And take note you-your intuition picked up on the negative vibs too- describing the behavior as "creepy." You should listen to your intuition-it IS valid(https://www.amazon.com/Other-Survival-Signals-Protect-Violence/dp/0440508835/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549033222&sr=8-1&keywords=gift+of+fear+book

). But even if you don't trust yourself trust your dog :)

I agree! My Lab, who was a narcotics K9 and then my pet, had her favorites. She disliked most men, and she knew which ones to avoid.

Good girl Paisley! Now if I could only get Johnny to stop loving up all visitors...

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

As already noted, expect a call from the ACO officer. Make sure that you pull all the paperwork for rabies. I don't know where you live but, be careful as some ACO's might try and take the dog -- don't let them in for any reason and don't let them take the dog. You can talk to them at the front door. Write down everything about the encounter that you remember.

The second man barged right in like 5 minutes later ...Then I thought how creepy it was that he just waltzed right in, asking if the other guy was still here. Headed to our bedroom, I had to redirect him to the water heater. Creepy.

Totally creepy. And inappropriate. I'd be very tempted to report this but realize the difficulty of doing so, given the dog nip involved. Paisley was totally spot-on, she may have saved you from something. Good girl Paisley.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.