The Terrible Algebra Of Necessity

This will take a few minutes (please, hands, please arms, don't fail me now.)

Thank you everyone, for caring, and sharing. Always a sad time for anyone who has been owned by a dog.

Thus, the title of this thread. We had many variables that had to be factored in, for the best possible solution for Joey. It is after all, for all of us Grey owners, the thing and the whole of the thing.

We have had a very rough several years that leave us in a poor financial situation. I had to junk my car. We are both disabled, and apparently much older than when Joey came to stay. Mary is having great difficulty finding help, and my condition progresses. We could not get a tripod around, much as that is the preferred option, nor can we afford it. We know cancer runs in Joey's family, Sweetie Greyhound, Joey's great-uncle I think, also succumbed. Return of the osteo in another limb and metastasizing are highly likely, leading to further suffering and hardship for the whole family.

And this is where it gets really miserable.

We got the osteo diagnosis on January 26th, last week, and Joey seemed fine all week; happily and adorably demanding walkies, good appetite, little sign of discomfort with the gaba. The only clue was a stiff appearance to the leg (not even a limp) when walking and some hesitance putting his full weight on it; yet he stretched, play-bowed, managed steps easily. A greyt boy.

Yesterday, Saturday, I found the nerve and the resolve to call the vet recommended by our vet, who would come to the house and assist with our decision and with cremation options. It would make it easier on all, if such a thing could be possible. She soon called back and we arranged things for this coming Tuesday. The plan was a final weekend, with it getting warmer, and with me trying to go along for one last family walk, gently, around the neighborhood. Joey would have all his favorite foods and treats and to heck with the diet. Our last days together, to prepare us for goodbye. Earlier, Joey happily borked at Mary and demanded his morning walk, forcing her to put her coffee aside and get coats on, leashes ready. It was a good walk, followed as usual by his favorite treat, a nice cup of thick, rich warmed chicken broth, then followed by a comfy snooze with much roaching on mum's pillow. That afternoon after another pleasant stroll, I cooked him a fine meal of brown rice, boiled chicken, mashed green peas and carrots, a dash of brussels sprouts, french-style green beans, and some steak bits. Didn't skimp on the pat-ay, with the eggs on top (sorry, horrible monty python reference.) He yummed that up, crunched some milk bones, and retired to mum's pillow for a quiet snooze. We were going to make this a good weekend for him and for us.

Last evening he came out of the bedroom and threw up his supper. Obviously didn't feel so hot. Continued throwing up all nite long, here, there, everywhere. Looking very ill and shaky. Won't take his gaba. Thankfully during the night he would drink some water, but couldn't keep it down. Upchucked one last time early this morning, then rested. When next he drank I severely restricted the amount, and he was able to keep it down. Another nap. Got up, drank a little more, kept that down. Still no interest in food, not even cheese. Still looking shaky and miserable, but improving. More drink, more nap. Currently he doesn't look/act nearly as awful as this morning and is resting comfortably.

Called the home-visit vet this afternoon, She is kindly going to alter her schedule and come over Monday afternoon just as soon as she gets through work.

I know some won't agree. But I have to play the hand with the cards I am left holding, and Fate always cheats.

Thank you all, again, for your support and advice.

:ghplaybow

"To leave the world a somewhat better place than it was when you came into it."

You are making the right decision.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thinking of you now and tomorrow.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I will add Joey's name to the list of Bridge Angels in the Remembrance section of Greytalk. He will be in good company.

Greystoked, you can start a new posting in Remembrance about Joey to celebrate his life and post your videos and photos there too. :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Godspeed, good boy. Hugs to your mom and dad who loved you so very much.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So very for your loss, always such a difficult decision to make. Rest well sweet Joey and know you will always be loved.

Jaime L

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020