Drs. Foster Smith Closing

Beachbum1

You knew this was coming, sigh. Thanks for the heads up that its real. Sigh.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Really hate to see that. I've known so many GREAT dog businesses that started so small and then prospered and then were promptly sold and that was the end of all the things that made them great in the first place. KV Vet Supply is one too. Its still in business but is no where close to what it used to be. I used to spend so much there and then they were sold, and changed, and now they are completely off my radar. So many. I am surprised that Chewy is still pretty much like it was although I have noticed price increases.

I haven't bought anything from them in years, but this still makes me sad. It's going to be a big hit to the small northern Wisconsin town where they are located.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

very sad too, :( but more sad that the quality of their Slumberballs had gone so downhill in the past 13 years. All made in China now. The first 2 we bought in 2005 for our first houndies Rainey and Nube are STILL in good shape and Larry and Zeke sleep on them every single night -- at least the outside shell is, inside is toast due to years of nesting hounds. The next 4 we bought after tore repeatedly at the seams, very poor quality. The last 2 we got (and still are using but are pretty flat) are the ribbed corduroy ones and they are holding up a lot better now than the previous 4.

mostly sad that folks will lose their jobs up in WI. :(

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I've seen some cheap imitations of the slumber ball online, but nothing that even comes close to the real thing.

Apparently they only bought DFS for the pharmacy business.

Along the same line, I noticed that our local Sam's clubs have no pet beds in the local stores any longer. All pet beds are online only at the moment. We've had some really nice beds from Sam's over the years when we did not have Costco as an option. Our local Costco's don't carry the Kirkland bolster bed at all, although I still hear about them popping up in some stores in other parts of the country. Maybe we should buy to the old slumber ball factory in Wisconsin and keep it going so there's still a decent dog bed option out there.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Our Costco recently got in some of the bolster beds and the round ones. I haven’t bought anymore as Conner no longer likes the bolster beds. May pick up a round one. There are going to be some sad hounds in this house when the slumber balls give out.

Our Costco recently got in some of the bolster beds and the round ones. I haven’t bought anymore as Conner no longer likes the bolster beds. May pick up a round one. There are going to be some sad hounds in this house when the slumber balls give out.

Fortunately you can keep refilling the slumber balls. We bought a bag of the fill and topped off Rocket's slumber ball a couple of months before we lost him. He was not happy about that as apparently he had the bed the way he liked it, nice and flattened out. We had to take out the fill that we added. :bgeorge

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I'm sad/mad to hear this. I buy a few things from them, and always get my heart worm from them. I hope they are still going to sell that. I've been hitting the 75% off sales. Just beware, they aren't taking returns on a lot of items. I just tried to return some no-leak wraps that won't fit the greyhound physique. I was told to sell or donate them, they won't take them back. Not helpful. I did buy some nice brass tags to put on my foster collars for $2, and I'm going to order the adaptil before it runs out.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

A tangent but I feel the same way about VCA taking over so many vet clinics.

Totally agree about VCA. I've been going to the same vet practice for years. Ever since VCA took them over, it's become more corporate and less the local practice. I'm not happy with the changes.

We get our piddle pads from them. Most places don’t carry ones that are large enough for our hounds. :(

Get the washable human ones.

Personally, I have never found anything at Foster and Smith that I couldn't find cheaper elsewhere. Once I ordered from Foster and Smith and Australia on the same day. Australia arrived first.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Agree with the washable human pads. If you can find "used" ones they are much cheaper. Used may be a little dingy looking, but have been sterilized and are clean. They have many uses.

The only thing I bought from Drs Foster & Smith was slumberballs, and apparently they discontinued those a while back.

Really hate to see that. I've known so many GREAT dog businesses that started so small and then prospered and then were promptly sold and that was the end of all the things that made them great in the first place. KV Vet Supply is one too. Its still in business but is no where close to what it used to be. I used to spend so much there and then they were sold, and changed, and now they are completely off my radar. So many. I am surprised that Chewy is still pretty much like it was although I have noticed price increases.

I wasn't aware that KV Vet had been sold but that explains why they have gotten so SLOW over the last year when I order an RX refill, etc.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI - FREE SHIPPING at Drs. Foster and Smith today only, February 13. No minimums or code needed. Just got the email from them.