Tumor Under Tail- Circumanal Gland

Hi, trying to find some advice, my 10 yr old has a tumor underneath his tail, went to the vet did aspiration the path report says DIAGNOSIS: Circumanal gland neoplastic epithelial cells with mild cellular pleomorphism, anisonucleosis and piling up of reserve cells. They advise to do a partial or full biopsy, I asked the vet should be do a ultrasound or X-ray before doing biopsy, since sedation is required and to see if there are any other tumors inside, not being cold but if there are tumors inside why do a biopsy... cancer is cancer and I would don't want to put him through any surgery etc. Her reply was we already discussed what I advised, I guess she is used to people just going along with what she says. We are newer to this area and I haven't found a vet I can trust in yet. We are in the Orlando FL area. Below is the pathology report and picture. thanks

https://ibb.co/ZNZDXqQ

https://ibb.co/YbVz2vJ

That looks exactly like the hepatoid my 10 year old italian greyhound had. My vet recognized it immediately. It was removed with no complications.

Not much there to ultrasound.

It developed to the size of the one in your photos. I thought it was scary at first. Then I joked that if I lowered Charlie's tail it could serve as a butt plug.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm sorry your vet was dismissive of your questions. I know absolutely nothing about this type of growth and that report is pretty technical so hopefully one of the vet folks will chime in with more knowledge, but have you googled what he has? The report reads to me like it's likely a benign growth, but an excisional biopsy would both remove the growth (more comfortable for him potentially) and allow you to check for malignancy. Some cancers metastasize more easily than others. My guess would be this type is quite localized, but you should also be able to find that info fairly easily. If you're not comfortable proceeding with the biopsy with your current vet, I would consider seeing an oncologist. They will be able to answer all of your questions in detail and do the biopsy, as well as offer treatment options if it is malignant.

ETA: I disagree that cancer is cancer. Some cancers can be surgically removed and (with or without being followed with radiation depending) you could have many years with no issues. There is a wide variation in terms of how aggressive cancers are and whether there are treatments to cure it or at least lead to years of being healthy before it returns.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

First, I personally would search for a different vet. Believe me I know how extremely difficult it is to find a skilled compassionate vet that actually cares and doesn't mind responding to your concerns. I have had them literally kill my hound before though(Bobber) and grievously injure another(Minny) of my hounds due to negligence etc so I don't apologize for trying to find a kind and skilled one and advocating for my dogs as best I can. My dogs can't speak for themselves and if I don't speak for them who will? Oh and by the way I even had 1 local vet tell me, and I quote, "It is not about compassion." I had another er vet send Slim home with a BROKEN LEG, undiagnosed and untreated. I have learned the HARD way to never really trust a vet. But thats me based on my experiences. I have lived in different states and I can tell you some places have lots better vets than other places. This place, Louisville, KY- is the worse I have ever seen. But then I can't really be surprised. Who would want to practice in the state that EVERY YEAR ranks LAST in animal welfare? So it is what it is. And btw you can PM me if you would like the name of those above so you can avoid them. I will never forget their names after what they did.

And second, this sounds like a rather typical tumor/growth. I have had them removed without incident etc and others just monitored etc but none of them were serious. Most likely once it is removed that will simply be the end of the story with no ramifications so try not to worry. Most of the time it is minor.

Hope your boy gets well quick!!!

Has your dog been licking his anus excessively? My Lola has a red, angry looking area similar to your dog's and it really bothers her. We've got an appointment next week.

I hope it turns out to be nothing serious for your boy. :hope

Edited by LaFlaca

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I don't know the specifics of this type of cancer, but imo, no, "cancer isn't cancer", there are different types, different treatment options depending on type/stage/age/etc, and different choices a grey parent might make, for many good reasons. There are so many great vets out there, and this doesn't sound like one of them.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Here's what iggy Charlie's hepatoid growth looked like. It looks a lot like your boy's.

31218572_2053251424999951_24262762973752

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png