Proper Time Or Distance For A Walk

I try to walk my hound at least once a day. We have been averaging 50 minutes per walk and he seems to do OK. I see a lot of posts where the normal walk time is around 20 to 30 minutes. Am I walking him to long? We have had him 8 weeks and he has always walked just perfectly. I don't want to take a chance of bruising his pads. Just wondering?

Hi. I treat dog walks as outings as much as exercise. It's an opportunity for the dog to walk, trot, stop, look around, sniff, poo, pee, wander some (on leash), whatever. A 30 minute walk often takes us about 45 minutes. If there's thunder in the distance, he may only want to go a few hundred metres or less, then turns for home. Every dog is an individual. Cheers.

Yes, it really does depend on the dog and the day. I walk mine once a day, until it gets too hot. Walks vary from 20-45 minutes, depending on how the dogs feel. Conner is 13.9, so I keep a pretty close eye on how he is feeling. If your dog has been fine with the walking you have been doing, I wouldn’t worry, although as it gets later in the year, be aware that these guys can be pretty sensitive to heat.

Logan is 8.5 years old, and still does two walks a day, am and pm, usually 30-40 min in the am and about 50 min many evenings. On weekends can even get to 1.5 hours or longer on a single walk.

Rob
Logan - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (Aug. 4, 2004 - Jan. 11, 2018)

The only time I'd really worry about length of time is if the ground is too hot (pavement in the summer) or too cold (ice/snow under 20F). You can certainly build up to longer walks if you want!

My grey did have an adjustment period of when I first let him run on fine gravel, his paw pads were not toughened up yet and he got a sore. So I sloely built him up to it and then his pads were tough enough to handle different surfaces.

Sarah with P Kay Ruger "Rogue"

gc2Re0q.jpg?2