Is My Dog Getting Enough Exercise?

Hi All,

Our first new grey Arrow (7 weeks) is doing wonderfully overall, but her one issue (as I've posted about previously) is statueing. It's not improved much yet, and then she got a limp when we let her do zoomies in the back yard. So she's been resting and on anti-inflamatories for the last 4 days or so. She has cabin fever for sure, and we are gradually getting her walks going again. But because of the statueing, I'm hesitant to go on big long walks and get stuck. Thus her walks end up being relatively short - 10-15 minutes (2-3 times a day). We also try and let her run in the yard or at a park once a week or so. Is she getting enough exercise? She is 6.5 years old and had three litters of pups; so she's a tad bit on the older side for a new adoptee but is still very outgoing, energetic and curious. Should I just take her on longer walks and roll the dice that we'll have to carry her home? Thoughts are much appreciated!

If she has cabin fever, take her for a ride (assuming she likes rides.) She probably needs rest for the limp, but boredom sets in when you do that. Anything that will entertain her will help. Try some clicker training, puzzle toys or Kongs, rides, go to the park and just hang out on a blanket if the weather allows etc.

If rest was prescribed for the limp, then I would hold off on the longer walks.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Yes, definitely won't take her on long walks till her prescribed healing period is over.

But generally speaking, are two or three 10-15 minute walks a day plus a run once a week enough for a six year old grey?

Any walking is better than no walking. I have always been a fan of at least one long walk 30-45 minutes each day, so time wise you are getting that in. The thing I noticed when we moved to the desert is that Rocket rapidly lost all of his muscle when we couldn't do long walks due to hot weather in the summers here. He never gained it back in cooler weather walks, and I think it contributed to his eventual leg/spine issues.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

It depends on your dog, their age, and their natural activity level. It's also not always just a static answer. What's acceptable will change over time.

I don't walk my dogs - our neighborhood is dangerous with lots of loose, unsupervised dogs, no sidewalks, and lots of traffic. But we do have a nice big yard, and they have each other, to play in and with. We go out for usually three 20 minute sessions a day. Sometimes they play, sometimes digging, sometimes a race, sometimes I get out the lure pole or kick a ball around for them to chase. That has always worked for us.

So I would say you're all right, generally, for right now. Once she's healed up and a little more settled in, she may need longer walks and/or more exercise.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Grace has 2 twenty minute walks a day with an additional visit to the park once or twice a week depending on the weather but as Time4ANap says take her with you in the car when running errands.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Hi All,

Update, I'm still trying to give her two good walks a day, but the freezing is still quite an issue. Does anyone have thoughts on Martingale collar vs, harness. There are times when she's really dug in that tugging at the Martingale collar (as gently as possible) is the only option. I wonder if a harness might make it a little easier until this issue (hopefully) resolves. Thanks!

I highly recommend a halter. If you have to gently tug, it will help prevent neck issues.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Out of interest, when she statues, have you tried walking in different directions and seeing if she magically starts following you? Since you say you're concerned about getting quite a long way and then her statuing, it makes me wonder if she's like my dog when I first got him, and just feels quite strongly about wanting to investigate a different direction than the route you're following. Zephyr won't try and pull me to where he wants to go, he'll just stop stock still and look at me and refuse to be moved forward. Starting to walk in different directions will sometimes allow me to figure out where he wants to go, but he gives no indication of which way it is. I do have a harness for him now as he still occasionally does it (fancies crossing the street instead of continuing on the side we're on for example), and it's helpful to have one with a handle that you can use to lift them slightly and walk forward like you're carrying a luggage bag. His freezing has got a lot better with more familiarity with the area, and I vary the routes I go as much as I can.

The walking in different directions does sometimes work, though not always. It also can be tricky if we're almost home and she suddenly wants to go off in another direction. I think the harness is helping, but the one I got doesn't have a handle. Is there a brand/model you recommend?

Another issue is that I have a second residence for work, so she's getting used to two new homes, which I think is part of what's making her slow to come out of the freezing tendency. Everything else is absolutely wonderful!

One thing we've realized is that she is an incredibly social dog, both with humans and other dogs. Part of the freezing is that she constantly wants to go up and greet every person/animal she sees. We tend to let her do this, but some people don't want to interact and we have to respect that, though it will cause her to freeze every time.

For now, we're keeping walks very short and very nearby our house. 10-15 minutes maybe 3 times a day. To give her more exercise and interaction we're doing all day doggy day care two days a week, which she seems to love and is totally zonked afterwards into the next day. Also, we try to take her to run once a week. With the doggy day care replacing longer walks, does it sound like she's getting enough exercise? She's 6 and a half, raced 60 races and had three litters of pups, so she's a little older than some new adoptees. Any thoughts?

Thank you for your input! It's such a help...

It sounds like she is getting plenty of exercise! In fact, I would bet most greyhounds would be envious of her schedule :) One of my greys is also very friendly and wants to greet everyone we see. Well, except small children, she is afraid of babies. She doesn’t statue, but she does pull towards people, even if we have walked past (as you said, not everyone wants to say hello). Your girl will probably get better, just give her time.

Remember, greyhounds are sprinters, not marathoners. Most races last about 30 seconds, and at least in the US, dogs generally run about every three days. Also, greyhounds aren’t bred for all day work, like herding breeds for example, so lots of short walks like you are doing is more what they are used to. And, at 6, she is middle aged, so she doesn’t need the workout a puppy or young dog would. Of course, dogs are individuals, some 10 yr olds will walk for hours and some 2 yr olds won’t want to leave the couch :lol

but some people don't want to interact and we have to respect that,

My dogs are not only disappointed, but incredulous when a human doesn't want to stop and fawn over them.

You asked about a harness -- most harnesses actually make it harder to maneuver the dog. You're pulling at the strongest part of their body. I think the halter that greytpups suggested may be one like this?

https://www.chewy.com/halti-optifit-dog-headcollar-large/dp/117361?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Halti&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuKG3zP6O4AIVx6mWCh10ygtoEAQYBSABEgLtxvD_BwE

I used a Gentle Leader brand when I had a 90-lb male who suddenly didn't want to say hello to people when his in-charge-of-greetings sister died. He started hanging back behind me and sometimes growling when I tried to encourage him to "come out and say hello." Maneuvering him was a breeze with the Gentle Leader, and I followed a trainer's advice and acted positive and in charge to make him realize I would protect him.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Ah, I see the difference. The harness is actually working quite well when she get's obsessed with a smell, I can gently swing her back on track. However, when she freezes, I have to lift up on the harness (like a briefcase) and pull her forward. I think this is working a lot better than the martingale (not pulling on her neck), but I do worry about the straps rubbing against the back of her legs. She's quite willful. I think it's mostly that she's super curious and just wants to explore everything and not leave a single stone unturned, but I feel I should establish that she needs to follow my lead when she's on leash. I don't want to be overly forceful, but I feel like she needs to eventually learn to follow along on walks, otherwise it's just going to be an endless struggle. Still feeling a bit frustrated, but trying to be optimistic about improvement.

Does anyone else worry about the harness hurting the back of their front legs? Thank you so much for fielding our questions - we're about two months in and still learning!

Edited by ArrowOwner

If the harness is properly fitted, not rubbing anywhere in normal use, it should be fine when you have to lift or pull. I actually found a harness gave me better control with my Fletcher, who was 90lbs, 37” tall, leash aggressive to strange dogs, and generally willfull. I loved him dearly though :beatheart When we would have a difference of opinion about which way we should go, I would plant my feet and wait him out. Eventually he would stop pulling and we would go the way I wanted. I told him he might be stronger than me, but I outweighed him :lol If you have the time, you might try this when she statues. Walk the way you want to go until the leash is taunt and there is a little pressure on the leash, enough to let her know that you want her to go a certain way, then stand there, keeping up the pressure, until she gives in. It could take as long as 10-15 minutes at first, so you may not have time on your walks, but it worked for me